Mix: Game Awards, Japanese app tax, Air Photo, RSS Player
The finalists for the Second Annual Independent Game Festival have been released, with iPhone/iPod touch games dominating the Mobile category. Subatomic Studios’ Fieldrunners and Mobigame’s Edge lead the group with three nominations apiece, with other nominees including Igloo Games’ Dizzy Bee, The Iconfactory’s Frenzic, and Sykhronics Entertainment’s Smiles. The awards will be handed out during the Independent Games Festival, to be held March 23-27 in San Francisco. [via TUAW]
Some iPhone application developers have recently discovered that they weren’t getting the full amount of revenue expected from sales of their apps in Japan due to an issue with Japanese taxes. An Ecamm Network employee has written about the problem, revealing that 20% of revenue from its Japanese sales was missing. Upon contacting Apple, the company explained that “There is a 20% withholding tax in Japan until the Japanese tax authorities have accepted your tax exemption forms. This can take 90 days or longer. … They were required at the contract setup time in iTunes Connect. If you haven’t completed these and sent them in, you must or you should not have been paid.” It appears as if the link to the forms is buried in fine print on the tax forms web page, causing some developers to skip over the necessary documents.
Sudobility has released its Air Photo application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Air Photo allows users to print photos directly from the devices to any printer connected to a Windows PC or Mac running the free Air Photo Server software. The software works over a Wi-Fi connection, and features auto-rotation, scaling options, and compatibility with “all printers.” Air Photo is available now from the App Store and sells for $1.
Almerica, developer of the previously-rejected iPhone app Podcaster, has released RSS Player, a new podcast downloading and listening application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Described by the developer as Podcaster’s younger sibling, RSS Player lets users download or stream podcasts directly to their device, including the downloading of podcasts larger than 10MB over 3G networks. The application lacks Podcaster’s built-in search directory, however, and its acceptance provokes questions as to Apple’s original motives in rejecting the app. Podcaster was denied App Store publication by Apple in September, before Apple added the ability to download podcasts to the iPhone and iPod touch versions of the iTunes Store, for “duplicating iTunes functionality.” It is unclear whether RSS Player’s acceptance is due to the name change, its lack of a directory, a change in Apple’s policies regarding such applications, or a combination thereof. RSS Player is available now and sells for $2.
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Apple eyed Bill Simmons for exclusive podcast deal
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?