Mix: Gift cards, Spun, Music collections, Clear Channel
Gift cards for digital music downloads are helping to boost online music sales. “In the U.S. there’s been fantastic gift card download sales,” said Larry Kenswil, President of Universal Music Group’s eLabs unit. “Towards the middle of last year we were wondering if the digital revolution was over. But after the holiday season sales really picked up as a result of gift cards.”
Spun.com has launched a new service that allows customers to trade in their CDs, DVDs and video games for iPods or iTunes Music Store gift cards. “The transaction is fast and easy,” says Spun. “Simply log on to Spun.com, enter the ‘old media’ titles you want to exchange, and get instant credit toward digital gift cards and players. In a few days, you’ll receive your new digital entertainment gear, and a postage-paid box to ship your old CDs, DVDs and games back to Spun.”
Glenn Lovell of Knight Ridder writes about the difference between collecting music digitally compared to having a physical collection. “The idea of not having a tangible music collection—be it CD, cassette or vinyl album—has rattled some ardent collectors. They argue that without something to touch and discuss, you forfeit something fundamental.”
Clear Channel Communications plans to make some of its programming available to rival radio broadcasters. Reuters reports: “The new audio, video and text programming, developed by a community of 200 programmers called Format Lab, is expected to be used for Internet channels, station Web sites, Apple’s iPod, satellite broadcasts, high-definition radio broadcasts and other venues.”
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ album to stream on Apple Music
- Apple publishes detailed list of Siri HomeKit commands
- Apple to pay 0.2 cents per song during Apple Music free trial
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- SwitchEasy Canvas + Rave for iPad Air 2
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?