Mix: Google 2008, South Korea, iTunes movies, Choose Your Adventure
Among the fastest rising terms in the United States during 2008 were “att” and “iphone,” according to Google’s Zeitgeist results for 2008, which examines search terms whose frequency increased compared to 2007. AT&T and iPhone took the third and fourth spots on the list, respectively, behind “obama” and “facebook.”
South Korea will suspend its Wireless Internet Platform for Interoperability, or WIPI, requirement on April 1, opening the door for foreign handsets like the iPhone. The WIPI requirement effectively blocked foreign handset makers from entering the South Korean market, which is currently dominated by local companies Samsung and LG. Korean telecom KTF said in 2007 that it was in negotiations with Apple to sell the iPhone in South Korea, with CEO Cho Young-chu saying the company would “have to wait” on Apple.
Following a report of various previously-available movies disappearing from the iTunes Store, CNet is reporting that the films were removed due to the structuring of the movie studios’ deals with Apple, which treat iTunes as a competitor to TV broadcasters. According to the report, TV outlets are able to dictate to studios if they would like a movie removed from online services such as iTunes during their exclusive showing windows. Apple has confirmed that the titles in question, including Atonement, Michael Clayton, and American Gangster, were pulled due to licensing requirements.
ChooseCo and Magnetism Studios have announced the release of Choose Your Own Adventure - Return to Atlantis for the iPhone and iPod touch. Based on the classic Choose Your Own Adventure books, Return to Atlantis allows readers to make choices that affect the outcome of the story by tapping on the screen, with a fully animated interface and smooth scrolling. As a bonus, the app also includes the Journey Under the Sea book. Choose Your Own Adventure - Return to Atlantis is available now from the App Store and sells for $3.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks