Mix: Google OneBox, EU music rights, Photoshop.com Mobile, WebOS-style widgets
Google plans to launch a new music service that will offer song previews, artist information, graphics and music video clips. Contrary to a recent report, the One Box service will apparently not sell downloads or offer subscriptions, but rather will provide a means to search for, preview, and buy music from other online music services. All four of the top record companies are reported to be on board. [via CNet]
The European Union has announced a breakthrough deal between iTunes, music companies, distributors and online licensing groups that will allow for increased Internet music sales throughout Europe. Apple, the companies and rights-holders agreed to work on EU-wide licenses that would allow music content to be sold more widely across the region. Presently, music rights are handled separately in each country. An EU-wide arrangement would pave the way for Apple to set up a single iTunes Store across all European countries, rather than the current per-country iTunes Stores that are presently in place. [via Yahoo Finance]
Adobe reports that its Photoshop.com Mobile for iPhone application has seen over one million downloads in its first week of availability. Photoshop.com Mobile provides the ability to perform basic editing and filtering operations for photos on your iPhone, and is available for free from the iTunes App Store. [via MacRumours]
In commentary on Jamie Zawinsky leaving the Palm Pre for the iPhone, John Gruber says that Apple had originally considered a Dashboard-style widget design for smaller utility apps like weather and stocks, similar to that found in Palm’s WebOS. During the six months between the iPhone’s original announcement at Macworld 2007 and its eventual release in June, Apple reportedly decided that the feature’s performance was unacceptable and abandoned it.
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?