Mix: Google, Philips, 100 Ways, VisualHub, Buddy Beacon
Google has said that it has seen 50 times more searches from the iPhone than from any other mobile handset. “We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs again,” said Vic Gundotra, head of Google’s mobile operations. Gundotra also said that if more manufacturers make mobile web access easy, the number of mobile searches will overtake fixed searches “within the next several years.”
Philips has announced that amBX FXGen+ lighting effects can now be experienced with iTunes through Windows XP or Vista. The amBX platform “allows content developers to use light, color, sound, rumble and even air flow through enabled devices, including the Philips amBX PC Gaming Peripherals range of LED color-controlled lighting, rumble peripherals and variable speed desktop fans.”
The Online Education Database has posted a new list of 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better. The list includes links to study guides, podcasts, tutorials, applications, classroom help, and more.
Techspansion has released VisualHub 1.31, the latest version of its video conversion software for Mac. New in VisualHub 1.31 is support for 5.1 surround sound output on the Apple TV. According to the company, “video sources with 5.1 AC3 audio will have their audio track passed directly through to the finished file, and the video will be converted for optimal playback on the Apple TV.” VisualHub 1.31 requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later and is a free update for registered users; a new license costs $23.32.
Buddy Beacon, the “mobile buddy finding application” which up until recently was available exclusively on Helio devices with GPS, has announced a new web application for iPhone. The new Buddy Beacon webapp allows iPhone users to register with the service and use a self-reported location to let other users know their location and current activity. The new Buddy Beacon web app can be accessed at where.com/bb.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks