Mix: Google, Philips, 100 Ways, VisualHub, Buddy Beacon
Google has said that it has seen 50 times more searches from the iPhone than from any other mobile handset. “We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs again,” said Vic Gundotra, head of Google’s mobile operations. Gundotra also said that if more manufacturers make mobile web access easy, the number of mobile searches will overtake fixed searches “within the next several years.”
Philips has announced that amBX FXGen+ lighting effects can now be experienced with iTunes through Windows XP or Vista. The amBX platform “allows content developers to use light, color, sound, rumble and even air flow through enabled devices, including the Philips amBX PC Gaming Peripherals range of LED color-controlled lighting, rumble peripherals and variable speed desktop fans.”
The Online Education Database has posted a new list of 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better. The list includes links to study guides, podcasts, tutorials, applications, classroom help, and more.
Techspansion has released VisualHub 1.31, the latest version of its video conversion software for Mac. New in VisualHub 1.31 is support for 5.1 surround sound output on the Apple TV. According to the company, “video sources with 5.1 AC3 audio will have their audio track passed directly through to the finished file, and the video will be converted for optimal playback on the Apple TV.” VisualHub 1.31 requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later and is a free update for registered users; a new license costs $23.32.
Buddy Beacon, the “mobile buddy finding application” which up until recently was available exclusively on Helio devices with GPS, has announced a new web application for iPhone. The new Buddy Beacon webapp allows iPhone users to register with the service and use a self-reported location to let other users know their location and current activity. The new Buddy Beacon web app can be accessed at where.com/bb.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?