Mix: Google voice search, EA previews, Speck sale, PDO discount, QuickTime
Google has admitted to using undocumented application programming interfaces, or APIs, in its latest version of Google Mobile App, breaking App Store rules. The APIs in question allows the application to use the proximity sensors to prompt for a voice search. Developers are only supposed to use published APIs in their applications, as unpublished APIs often change with different versions of the software, in some cases “breaking” applications that rely upon them for key features. It’s unclear whether Apple knew about the situation before approving the application.
Electronic Arts has announced that it will be holding public previews of its upcoming iPhone and iPod touch titles Need for Speed Undercover and SimCity at select Apple retail stores in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. According to the company, the events will give users a chance to “test drive” the games before launch. The previews will be held on Dec. 6 at 3:00 p.m. at the Apple Store in SOHO, NYC, Dec. 13 at 2:00 p.m. at the Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA, Dec. 14 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on Stockton Street in San Francisco, and on Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL.
Speck has launched its holiday sale which will run now through the end of the year. During the sale, the company will be offering a 75% discount on all previous-generation iPod cases, discounts of between 25% and 75% on previous-generation iPhone cases, and 50% off on black, clear and purple SeeThru hard shell cases, black and white PixelSkin cases and the ToughSkin for iPhone 3G.
PDO is offering a 30% discount over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Beginning tomorrow and running through December 1, customers can enter the coupon code TG835 to receive 30% off their order. In addition, the company is offering free shipping on all orders, and is selling all older model iPod and iPhone cases for $5 or less.
Following complaints from users of Apple’s new MacBook computers who found themselves unable to play certain iTunes Store-purchased videos due to the new laptops’ use of HDCP, or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, Apple has released QuickTime 7.5.7, providing a partial fix for the problem. According to the release notes, the update “addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.” (Emphasis ours.) High-definition content, however, remains unplayable on non-HDCP compliant displays. QuickTime 7.5.7 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility, or as a download from apple.com/quicktime/.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards