Mix: Google voice search, EA previews, Speck sale, PDO discount, QuickTime
Google has admitted to using undocumented application programming interfaces, or APIs, in its latest version of Google Mobile App, breaking App Store rules. The APIs in question allows the application to use the proximity sensors to prompt for a voice search. Developers are only supposed to use published APIs in their applications, as unpublished APIs often change with different versions of the software, in some cases “breaking” applications that rely upon them for key features. It’s unclear whether Apple knew about the situation before approving the application.
Electronic Arts has announced that it will be holding public previews of its upcoming iPhone and iPod touch titles Need for Speed Undercover and SimCity at select Apple retail stores in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. According to the company, the events will give users a chance to “test drive” the games before launch. The previews will be held on Dec. 6 at 3:00 p.m. at the Apple Store in SOHO, NYC, Dec. 13 at 2:00 p.m. at the Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA, Dec. 14 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on Stockton Street in San Francisco, and on Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL.
Speck has launched its holiday sale which will run now through the end of the year. During the sale, the company will be offering a 75% discount on all previous-generation iPod cases, discounts of between 25% and 75% on previous-generation iPhone cases, and 50% off on black, clear and purple SeeThru hard shell cases, black and white PixelSkin cases and the ToughSkin for iPhone 3G.
PDO is offering a 30% discount over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Beginning tomorrow and running through December 1, customers can enter the coupon code TG835 to receive 30% off their order. In addition, the company is offering free shipping on all orders, and is selling all older model iPod and iPhone cases for $5 or less.
Following complaints from users of Apple’s new MacBook computers who found themselves unable to play certain iTunes Store-purchased videos due to the new laptops’ use of HDCP, or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, Apple has released QuickTime 7.5.7, providing a partial fix for the problem. According to the release notes, the update “addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.” (Emphasis ours.) High-definition content, however, remains unplayable on non-HDCP compliant displays. QuickTime 7.5.7 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility, or as a download from apple.com/quicktime/.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?