Mix: Google voice search, EA previews, Speck sale, PDO discount, QuickTime
Published: Wednesday, November 26, 2008
News Categories: Mix
Google has admitted to using undocumented application programming interfaces, or APIs, in its latest version of Google Mobile App, breaking App Store rules. The APIs in question allows the application to use the proximity sensors to prompt for a voice search. Developers are only supposed to use published APIs in their applications, as unpublished APIs often change with different versions of the software, in some cases “breaking” applications that rely upon them for key features. It’s unclear whether Apple knew about the situation before approving the application.
Electronic Arts has announced that it will be holding public previews of its upcoming iPhone and iPod touch titles Need for Speed Undercover and SimCity at select Apple retail stores in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. According to the company, the events will give users a chance to “test drive” the games before launch. The previews will be held on Dec. 6 at 3:00 p.m. at the Apple Store in SOHO, NYC, Dec. 13 at 2:00 p.m. at the Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA, Dec. 14 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on Stockton Street in San Francisco, and on Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL.
Speck has launched its holiday sale which will run now through the end of the year. During the sale, the company will be offering a 75% discount on all previous-generation iPod cases, discounts of between 25% and 75% on previous-generation iPhone cases, and 50% off on black, clear and purple SeeThru hard shell cases, black and white PixelSkin cases and the ToughSkin for iPhone 3G.
PDO is offering a 30% discount over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Beginning tomorrow and running through December 1, customers can enter the coupon code TG835 to receive 30% off their order. In addition, the company is offering free shipping on all orders, and is selling all older model iPod and iPhone cases for $5 or less.
Following complaints from users of Apple’s new MacBook computers who found themselves unable to play certain iTunes Store-purchased videos due to the new laptops’ use of HDCP, or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, Apple has released QuickTime 7.5.7, providing a partial fix for the problem. According to the release notes, the update “addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.” (Emphasis ours.) High-definition content, however, remains unplayable on non-HDCP compliant displays. QuickTime 7.5.7 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility, or as a download from apple.com/quicktime/.
- Mix: EU iPhone Preorders, In-Cell Patent, Jobs’ Home Theft
- Mix: iCloud suit, iTunes TOS, Airplane Crash, iPad at Saks
- Mix: Air Guitar, Infinite Loop, Tardis Case, Loop Nano
- Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
- Mix: Universal, iCloud icon, Apple retail, The Beatles
- Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Forstall advising startups, involved in philanthropy
- Lightning developer leaves Apple, redesigns Square Reader
- China Mobile opens iPhone preorders on Dec. 12
- Apple, others call for govt. surveillance reform
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Belkin APEX360 Advanced Protection Case for iPad mini
- STM Grip 2 for iPad Air
- CM4 Slite Card Case for iPhone 5c
- Newer Technology NuGuard KX for iPad Air + iPad mini
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store