Mix: Google voice search, EA previews, Speck sale, PDO discount, QuickTime
Google has admitted to using undocumented application programming interfaces, or APIs, in its latest version of Google Mobile App, breaking App Store rules. The APIs in question allows the application to use the proximity sensors to prompt for a voice search. Developers are only supposed to use published APIs in their applications, as unpublished APIs often change with different versions of the software, in some cases “breaking” applications that rely upon them for key features. It’s unclear whether Apple knew about the situation before approving the application.
Electronic Arts has announced that it will be holding public previews of its upcoming iPhone and iPod touch titles Need for Speed Undercover and SimCity at select Apple retail stores in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. According to the company, the events will give users a chance to “test drive” the games before launch. The previews will be held on Dec. 6 at 3:00 p.m. at the Apple Store in SOHO, NYC, Dec. 13 at 2:00 p.m. at the Third Street Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA, Dec. 14 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on Stockton Street in San Francisco, and on Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. at the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL.
Speck has launched its holiday sale which will run now through the end of the year. During the sale, the company will be offering a 75% discount on all previous-generation iPod cases, discounts of between 25% and 75% on previous-generation iPhone cases, and 50% off on black, clear and purple SeeThru hard shell cases, black and white PixelSkin cases and the ToughSkin for iPhone 3G.
PDO is offering a 30% discount over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Beginning tomorrow and running through December 1, customers can enter the coupon code TG835 to receive 30% off their order. In addition, the company is offering free shipping on all orders, and is selling all older model iPod and iPhone cases for $5 or less.
Following complaints from users of Apple’s new MacBook computers who found themselves unable to play certain iTunes Store-purchased videos due to the new laptops’ use of HDCP, or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, Apple has released QuickTime 7.5.7, providing a partial fix for the problem. According to the release notes, the update “addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.” (Emphasis ours.) High-definition content, however, remains unplayable on non-HDCP compliant displays. QuickTime 7.5.7 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility, or as a download from apple.com/quicktime/.
- Apple wants networks to handle streaming for its web TV service
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?