Mix: Gray market, YouTube, Shareholders, iPod teens
Wired’s Scott Carney reports on India’s consumer electronics gray market. “After a good deal of haggling, I can pick up a 30-GB video iPod for $280, which is only $20 cheaper than you can get one at Best Buy in the United States, but a whopping $160 cheaper than the $440 that authorized dealers sell iPods for in India.”
GigaOm’s Robert Young says Apple should buy YouTube. “By buying YouTube, Steve Jobs could leapfrog to the top of the heap. After all, he would end up with immediate presence within the ranks of the top 50 web properties. YouTube would also, for the first time, give Apple a platform to tap into the highly-coveted stream of online ad revenues… And by owning a leading platform for user-created content, distribution, and social networking, Jobs could fill in nearly all of Apple’s strategic holes (vs. web competitors) in one fell swoop.”
Apple shareholders have filed suit against the company in state and U.S. courts, claiming that Apple CEO Steve Jobs and other executives changed their option-grant dates to reap “millions of dollars in unlawful profits,” and filed “false and misleading statements” with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The lawsuit involving two middle school students and a missing iPod has been revised. The Chicago Tribune reports: “The lawsuit, filed Aug. 6, was in court for the first time Monday before DuPage County Judge Dorothy French, who presides over Small Claims Court. Saying the lawsuit was legally insufficient, French dismissed it, but several minutes later, McCarthy filed a revised suit with the judge’s permission. The next court date is Sept. 21, when French might assign a time for trial.”
- Apple’s Eddy Cue shares his hopes for Apple News
- Report: Apple testing dual front cameras, wireless charging, and more in iPhone 7 prototypes
- Apple expands Personal Pickup to 6 more EU countries
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- House of Marley Chant Sport Portable Audio System
- Grid Connect ConnectSense Smart Outlet
- iDevices Switch HomeKit and Wi-Fi enabled plug
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?