Mix: Greenpeace + Energy, Google, Chilli X, Rock Band
Both Greenpeace and the U.S. Energy Secretary have come out in support of moves made by Apple and other companies against the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s stance on climate change. In a post to its News section entitled “Bravo Apple,” Greenpeace applauds Apple’s decision to resign from the Chamber, stating, “Apple has done the right thing,” adding, “IBM and Microsoft should think different too.” U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu also hailed the efforts of companies that have taken a stand against the Chamber, saying, I think it’s wonderful.” Chu also said the companies that left the Chamber object “to foot dragging, to denials” and realize that efforts to reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses are “part of our economic future in the United States.”
Earlier this week, Apple resigned from the Chamber of Commerce in a terse statement that read, “We strongly object to the Chamber’s recent comments opposing the EPA’s effort to limit greenhouse gases…Apple supports regulating greenhouse gas emissions, and it is frustrating to find the Chamber at odds with us in this effort. [...]because the Chamber’s position differs so sharply with Apple’s, we have decided to resign our membership effective immediately.”
Google has launched a new collection of tools called Search Options for its mobile search platform. The new feature, accessible from the Options link on Google’s mobile search results page, allows users to filter content by type, between web, forums, and reviews, by time, list results by relevance or by date, and more.
In celebration of its first birthday, iPhone developer Chilli X is offering all of its applications for iPhone and iPod touch for free. Starting tomorrow and continuing through Sunday, all 16 of Chilli X’s apps—including the well-reviewed PhotoFrame and PlaySafe—will be available as free downloads from the App Store. The promotion ends Monday.
EA Mobile has released more details, including screenshots, on its upcoming Rock Band game for the iPhone and iPod touch. the title will ship with 20 songs, including tracks from the Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Pixies, and others, and will offer Facebook integration, Quickplay and Tour Mode, three difficulty levels, rewards and achievements, and an in-game music store for purchasing additional tracks. Rock Band is expected to hit the App Store later this month; pricing has yet to be announced.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks