Mix: Greenpeace + Energy, Google, Chilli X, Rock Band
Both Greenpeace and the U.S. Energy Secretary have come out in support of moves made by Apple and other companies against the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s stance on climate change. In a post to its News section entitled “Bravo Apple,” Greenpeace applauds Apple’s decision to resign from the Chamber, stating, “Apple has done the right thing,” adding, “IBM and Microsoft should think different too.” U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu also hailed the efforts of companies that have taken a stand against the Chamber, saying, I think it’s wonderful.” Chu also said the companies that left the Chamber object “to foot dragging, to denials” and realize that efforts to reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses are “part of our economic future in the United States.”
Earlier this week, Apple resigned from the Chamber of Commerce in a terse statement that read, “We strongly object to the Chamber’s recent comments opposing the EPA’s effort to limit greenhouse gases…Apple supports regulating greenhouse gas emissions, and it is frustrating to find the Chamber at odds with us in this effort. [...]because the Chamber’s position differs so sharply with Apple’s, we have decided to resign our membership effective immediately.”
Google has launched a new collection of tools called Search Options for its mobile search platform. The new feature, accessible from the Options link on Google’s mobile search results page, allows users to filter content by type, between web, forums, and reviews, by time, list results by relevance or by date, and more.
In celebration of its first birthday, iPhone developer Chilli X is offering all of its applications for iPhone and iPod touch for free. Starting tomorrow and continuing through Sunday, all 16 of Chilli X’s apps—including the well-reviewed PhotoFrame and PlaySafe—will be available as free downloads from the App Store. The promotion ends Monday.
EA Mobile has released more details, including screenshots, on its upcoming Rock Band game for the iPhone and iPod touch. the title will ship with 20 songs, including tracks from the Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Pixies, and others, and will offer Facebook integration, Quickplay and Tour Mode, three difficulty levels, rewards and achievements, and an in-game music store for purchasing additional tracks. Rock Band is expected to hit the App Store later this month; pricing has yet to be announced.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0