Mix: Harrison, Rocks, Jailbreak, Ringtones, Luna | iLounge News

Mix: Harrison, Rocks, Jailbreak, Ringtones, Luna

The solo catalogue of Beatles member George Harrison has been added to iTunes. Offerings include Harrison’s critically-praised All Things Must Pass, as well as Bonus Track Versions of the self-titled George Harrison, Living in the Material World, and Somewhere in England.

A fourteen-year-old Texas girl ended up receiving not one, but two iPod boxes filled with rocks in place of the music player. Both boxes were purchased from Fort Worth, TX-area Target stores; the company has said that an investigation team is “actively looking into this matter and will partner with local law enforcement as necessary.”

Although not ready for widespread use, the iPhone developer community has managed to use an exploit in MobileSafari to launch recompiled third-party applications on v1.1.1 iPhones, and has also gained root access on iPod touch units.

Apple has acknowledged a bug that will only allow the first eight ringtones to automatically sync to the iPhone, assuming the user has more than eight. As a workaround, Apple is telling users to deselect “Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected” in the iPhone’s Summary Tab, and use the “Selected Ringtones” option in the Ringtones tab instead.

iLounge reader Paul Christensen has reported that the XtremeMac Luna clock radio is unable to wake his 160GB iPod classic from deep sleep to play an alarm. It is unknown whether this is a widespread bug or if it affects other members of the new iPod family, such as the iPod nano (with video) and iPod touch.

« iStuff intros Domino iPod Speaker System

Apple re-adds Texas Hold’em to iPod Games list [updated] »

Comments

LUCY: “I got a candy bar!”
LINUS: “I got some chewing gum!”
CHARLIE BROWN: “I got a rock.”

—It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Posted by navamske on October 9, 2007 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

That rock story has happened before in Texas. In the 1980s, some kids thought they were getting a brand new Atari 2600 for Christmas, but the box was filled with rocks as well. Something is not quite right in Texas!

Posted by Eric on October 9, 2007 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

its a amazing story. the first box had rocks and then the sec. then too… woow, someone did get a few free Apple products.

I don’t know if there is a way to back track this. From point where the Product goes in the box and the last stop at the store, there are many point where anybody can interfer and steal. BUT the easiest way is if a employer/ truckdriver/ security guard have access to these boxes.

so this will be kind of hard.

So whenever I go and buy my IPhone I’ll open it right in the store in front of the reps. .. they might be crockets too .. u know

Posted by dennis on October 9, 2007 at 2:34 PM (CDT)

I can confirm that the Luna (v.2.12u) is unable to wake the new iPods for the alarm functionality. I wrote in to XtremeMac, and received this reply:

“Hello Chris,

The Luna will play and charge the new iPods.  However, the Luna cannot turn on the new iPods using the alarm function due to change in the iPod software.

Thanks for shopping with XtremeMac!

Wil Herrera
Consumer Care Manager
XtremeMac”

So, I will not be upgrading to the new nano or touch because I use the alarm functionality of my Luna every morning. What is sad is that I bought my Luna in July, and now I am locked into not being able to use it with future iPods.

Posted by MacGeek Pro on October 9, 2007 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

iRock.  Think Different.

Posted by Cal on October 9, 2007 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

My new nano will wake with the Luna but once I snooze it the ipod won’t play at the snooze wakeup.

Luna support said it would be a firmware upgrade.  They way the answer was worded is that I might get to have the Luna upgraded if I send it in.  Firmware is not upgradeable by the user.

Seems like all ipod accessories need to have firmware upgradeablity built in since Apple keeps changing the way their ipods work.  You start getting to a choice of not wanting to upgrade to new ipods if your accessories stop working.

Posted by mrhoni on October 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

Well I am sat in front of my new Luna and new 16Gb touch and can confirm that it will switch on with the alarm, no problem, just leave it paused. So that in itself is a good thing.
Even better news is that the snooze function works as well!
I have only just got both items and have not even had a chance to get the luna set up at home yet so a long term reliability test will be need but at the moment the news seems to be thatan ipod touch will work perfectly with the luna (firmware 2.12E)
Hope this helps people.

Posted by Slim on October 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

My luna wakes my (new) nano now!  Didn’t before…  Maybe a firmware update restored the wake functionality?

Posted by Peter on March 15, 2008 at 6:30 AM (CDT)