Mix: iCheating, Toilet issues, Breakout quarter, Apple fine | iLounge News

Mix: iCheating, Toilet issues, Breakout quarter, Apple fine

Schools in Alberta, Canada have banned students from listening to iPods during exams. “You can record stuff onto your iPod,” said Ben Heshka, a 12th grade student. “Like just read out your notes and just record it as a song and just listen to it. That’s been known to happen.”

A pink iPod mini that was dropped down a toilet by a Santa Clara University student has finally been removed from the university’s drain system after months of efforts. One maintenance worker called the device “indestructible” after trying to clear it from the pipes.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said yesterday that Apple could have a “breakout” fourth quarter. “We believe September has the potential to be a breakout quarter for Apple due to the convergence of the following factors: back-to-school selling season, full availability of MacBook and MacBook Pro, Boot Camp impact on overall Mac demand, PC-to-Mac switcher ad campaign, and the halo effect,” Munster wrote in a research note.

Apple has been fined $100,000 by the state of Washington for not registering with the state as a service contract provider from 2000 to 2004. “A 1999 Washington law required all companies selling service contracts to register with the Office of the Insurance Commissioner,” reports the Puget Sound Business Journal.

« Apple taking orders for Nike + iPod Sport Kit

MusicGremlin takes on iPod with wireless player, music service »

Comments

The whole iCheat thing.
You know you can also use the Notes sections as well.
Much easier to create and read.
But then again most of my classes do not allow listening to music during classes.

Posted by Anton on June 14, 2006 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

I wouldn’t want that mini back if it had been in the sewer lines for months. I’d get a new one.

Posted by LukeA on June 14, 2006 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

I was just thnking, if the students were dumb enough to get caught listening to their notes in song form, they were too dumb to figure out the iPod’s Notes function.

Posted by LukeA on June 14, 2006 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

So, would that Pink mini now be an iPood?

Posted by Dave Geller on June 14, 2006 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Wow, you know back when I was in high school you couldn’t ever listen to CD players during tests, and I know that now they don’t let you listen to iPod’s either.  Shouldn’t that be kind of obvious that someone could cheat?? but then again, that’s Canada for you…..

Posted by MatrixSJD on June 14, 2006 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

@MatrixSJD: “but then again, that’s Canada for you…..”

I assume you mean that the average Canoodian is more honest than the average USAian, right wink

Posted by paul on June 14, 2006 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

I had to re-read that about listening during exams… we aren’t even allowed to have iPods in the exam room, let alone use them.

Posted by Eric on June 14, 2006 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

@MatrixSJD:
Yeah, I don’t think it’s a “Canada thing”. I’ve never seen in my lifetime people listening to music as they took a test, so I don’t know why/how the hell this listening to an iPod for cheating thing is even being done. It’s just assumed that you WOULDN’T listen to music/talk on a cellphone/etc during a test, must be some backwards school there.

Posted by blah on June 14, 2006 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

tons of people listen to ipods during tests @ my school

Posted by Pat on June 14, 2006 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

Wow…
We aren’t allowed anything except pens and rulers etc at our desks during exams,, and if someone is caught with an iPod or a phone or whatever, even if its switched off and in your pocket, its searched and then you pay a E30 fine to get it back!

Posted by Stev on June 14, 2006 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

I have never heard of any school in Canada that allows iPods during exams.  Most teachers do not allow them during tests either.  I believe the gov’t dictates that no iPods, MP3 players, cell phones, PSPs, etc. are not even allowed on-person during an exam.  If a student is caught using any of these things the are excused from the exam and given a mark of zero.  No exceptions. It sucks…

Posted by CanadaChris on June 14, 2006 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

ICHEAT!!!! im so glad i graduated high school this year before the teachers caught on to this… i did this on almost every test this year as well as the last two years… your right the notes section is much easier than saying your notes on a mic…. but this year i got the 5g vid and before that i had the 3g so this year we got ahold of the answer keys and took pics of them and put it on the ipod too.  its great stuff if you can get away with it.

Posted by i am the icheater on June 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Honestly, I listen to my iPod basically all day in school, test or not. Hell, I listened to The Olivia Tremor Control for a solid 5 hours during the SAT’s. I just run the wires of my Shure e2c’s up my shirt in the back and right up to my ear. My hair covers them, and I usually only put one bud in so I can still hear. Being able to listen to music in class makes it much more tolerable. I wouldn’t really want to cheat with it though. Just as easy with a notecard or something.

Posted by kevmakara in Horsham, PA on June 14, 2006 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

I AM an Alberta high school student. All of us got a pretty good laugh out of the fact that this was headline news today. Our teachers are not dumb. We have NEVER been allowed to use iPods during tests including Provincial Exams (Diploma Exams, Finals, whatever you want to call them). Despite the fact that this was not an explicit rule up until now no head examiner in their right mind would let students listen to an iPod during a final.

Posted by albertastudent on June 14, 2006 at 10:28 PM (PDT)

Listening to iPods at school??? During exams??? Here in the UK before every exam you have to hand over your mobile phone and iPod/mp3 player. If you are caught having one (let alone using one) you’re screwed, all of your exams are pretty much thrown away!

Posted by craigb6 on June 15, 2006 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

i just had high school final exams. i could listen to my ipod in all but one of them. i didn’t cheat, and i’ve found that i usually do better on math tests listening to fall out boy over and over again. (i’m from maine)

Posted by Christine on June 15, 2006 at 9:48 AM (PDT)