Mix: IDC on tablets, NBA League Pass, TSMC, Branson
According to the latest data from IDC, Apple’s iPad accounted for 73 percent of the 10.1 million media tablets shipped in the fourth quarter of 2010. The research firm states that although this number was down from 93 percent share in the third quarter, it still expects Apple to maintain a 70-80% share of the market in 2011. “Strong holiday sales of media tablets were in line with IDC projections and strong consumer interest in the category while device vendors scrambled to offer products competitive with Apple’s iPad and now iPad 2,” said Loren Loverde, vice president, IDC Consumer Device Trackers. “Media Tablets are on pace to reach shipments of roughly 50 million units in 2011.” Overall, Apple held an 83 percent share of all tablets shipped in 2010.
As noted in our Instant Expert article, some second-generation Apple TV users are finding that their International NBA League Pass subscription does not include access to the new NBA League Pass feature of the Apple TV. According to an email from the NBA League Pass service posted on Apple’s discussion boards, “The application you are looking at on Apple TV is for the US League Pass which is a different product for the International League Pass. At this time NBA International League Pass does not have an Apple TV application.”
Apple and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (TSMC) have entered into an agreement that will see the latter make the A5 dual-core processor on a foundry basis, according to a new report. Citing anonymous sources, EETimes reports that the deal could be a blow for Samsung, which makes the A4, although it notes that it’s unclear whether Samsung will also make A5 chips for Apple. According to one source, Apple will use TSMC because Samsung competes with the iPhone and iPad, because TSMC has the highest yielding 40-nm process, and because it has the most 40-mm capacity.
In a recent interview with Tech Radar, Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson made several complimentary comments about Apple and its CEO Steve Jobs. When asked about the biggest name in technology, Branson responded “Steve Jobs,” adding, “I hope he gets through his current illness. He’s the entrepreneur in the world I most admire and I think [Apple] is the brand I most admire.” Continuing, he said, “[Jobs] is the greatest comeback artist as well. He’s twice been down and out and fought his way back and created a brilliant global company. Everything he does is real class and if he wants to rename his company Virgin Apple I’d be happy to merge! It’s a great brand and a great company and may he get well soon.”
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Apple taking reservations for new iPhones in six European countries
- Apple adds transit directions for Boston, Sydney
- Apple acquires artificial intelligence firm Perceptio
- Apple rolls out app thinning in iOS 9.0.2
- Apple Pay transaction numbers still low overall
- Apple releases Apple Watch Hermès collection
- Apple to open Apple TV’s universal search API to more content providers
- Adobe releases Photoshop Fix, Capture CC apps for iOS
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?