Mix: Imagination, Rolando, iFrogz sale, 12 Days
Imagination Technologies Group has announced that Apple is purchasing 8.2 million new shares of the company, giving the iPod maker a 3.6% ownership interest. Imagination is known for its OpenGL ES-compliant PowerVR mobile GPU chips, and revealed alongside the stock announcement that Apple is a licensee of Imagination’s technology, suggesting that the company may be planning to use the PowerVR technology in future iPods and iPhones. This might also help to explain Apple’s acquisition of chipmaker P.A. Semi, which CEO Steve Jobs has said will build chips for future iPod and iPhone models.
Ngmoco has released its anticipated game Rolando for the iPhone and iPod touch. As a puzzle/platform game, Rolando puts players in control of circular characters called Rolandos, which they must guide through puzzles and past enemies in order to return their land to normal. The game features 36 levels across four unique worlds, both tilt and multi-touch controls, graphics by pop illustrator Mikko Walamies and original music by Mr. Scruff, as well as a feature that saves and restores game progress automatically when play is stopped or interrupted. Rolando is available now from the App Store and sells for $10.
iFrogz is holding a one-day sale today through 10:00 p.m. MST. The company is offering a 50% discount on every product available from ifrogz.com, including cases for the iPhone 3G and Fall 2008 iPods, as well as the company’s complete line of headphones. The discount is taken automatically; no code or coupon is needed.
Apple has revealed that it will offer a free download every day to iTunes users in the U.K. and France from December 26 to January 6 as part of its 12 Days of Christmas promotion. According to the promotion’s U.K. site, the giveaway will include “rare singles, exclusive live tracks and free music videos” as well as “classic TV episodes.” While an official site for the French promotion has yet to appear, Pocket-lint reports that advertisements for the promotion have begun appearing on the French retail website Darty.com. Update: Christian Hieber of iFun.de has informed us that Apple is also running the promotion in Germany.
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?