Mix: Imagination, Rolando, iFrogz sale, 12 Days
Imagination Technologies Group has announced that Apple is purchasing 8.2 million new shares of the company, giving the iPod maker a 3.6% ownership interest. Imagination is known for its OpenGL ES-compliant PowerVR mobile GPU chips, and revealed alongside the stock announcement that Apple is a licensee of Imagination’s technology, suggesting that the company may be planning to use the PowerVR technology in future iPods and iPhones. This might also help to explain Apple’s acquisition of chipmaker P.A. Semi, which CEO Steve Jobs has said will build chips for future iPod and iPhone models.
Ngmoco has released its anticipated game Rolando for the iPhone and iPod touch. As a puzzle/platform game, Rolando puts players in control of circular characters called Rolandos, which they must guide through puzzles and past enemies in order to return their land to normal. The game features 36 levels across four unique worlds, both tilt and multi-touch controls, graphics by pop illustrator Mikko Walamies and original music by Mr. Scruff, as well as a feature that saves and restores game progress automatically when play is stopped or interrupted. Rolando is available now from the App Store and sells for $10.
iFrogz is holding a one-day sale today through 10:00 p.m. MST. The company is offering a 50% discount on every product available from ifrogz.com, including cases for the iPhone 3G and Fall 2008 iPods, as well as the company’s complete line of headphones. The discount is taken automatically; no code or coupon is needed.
Apple has revealed that it will offer a free download every day to iTunes users in the U.K. and France from December 26 to January 6 as part of its 12 Days of Christmas promotion. According to the promotion’s U.K. site, the giveaway will include “rare singles, exclusive live tracks and free music videos” as well as “classic TV episodes.” While an official site for the French promotion has yet to appear, Pocket-lint reports that advertisements for the promotion have begun appearing on the French retail website Darty.com. Update: Christian Hieber of iFun.de has informed us that Apple is also running the promotion in Germany.
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?