Mix: In-Ear Headphone update, O2 + Twitter, unlocked 3GS, UK carriers
Following changes previously made to the Earphones with Remote packaged with the iPod shuffle 3G and Earphones with Remote and Mic included with the iPhone 3GS, Apple has quietly updated the 3.5mm plug on its In-Ear Headphones. The smaller plug is now made of hard, glossy white plastic as opposed to soft matte rubber, and matches the thinner diameter of the iPod shuffle 3G body. Apple’s In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic are available now and sell for $79; for more information, see our full review. [via AppleInsider]
U.K. iPhone carrier O2 is partnering with micro-blogging service Twitter to let O2 customers receive SMS notifications of certain messages. Beginning August 1, every O2 customer will be able to turn on text notifications within Twitter to receive text alerts for @ replies and direct messages for free. Customers will also be able to send updates to the service as part of their regular messaging plan. O2’s fair use policy will allow for up to 600 Twitter messages per month.
Apple is now offering unlocked iPhone 3GS units through its Online Store in Hong Kong. Pricing for the iPhone 3GS is HK$5,388—roughly $695—for 16GB units and HK$6,288 (~$811) for 32GB models. In addition, pricing on the 8GB iPhone 3G has dropped from HK$5,400 (~$695) to HK$4,488, or roughly $579. Apple began offering the iPhone 3G unlocked in Hong Kong in September of 2008.
Both T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. are in talks with Apple to offer the iPhone 3G in the country, according to a new report. The Register Hardware reports that T-Mobile “told” them it is in talks with Apple about offering its prior-generation handset in the next few months, and says that Orange is also rumored to be negotiating an iPhone 3G offering. Notably, the iPhone 3GS is not said to be part of any talks, as its exclusive on the new handset “seems to be secure.” O2 has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.K. since its launch in the country on November 9, 2007.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0