Mix: In-Ear Headphone update, O2 + Twitter, unlocked 3GS, UK carriers
Following changes previously made to the Earphones with Remote packaged with the iPod shuffle 3G and Earphones with Remote and Mic included with the iPhone 3GS, Apple has quietly updated the 3.5mm plug on its In-Ear Headphones. The smaller plug is now made of hard, glossy white plastic as opposed to soft matte rubber, and matches the thinner diameter of the iPod shuffle 3G body. Apple’s In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic are available now and sell for $79; for more information, see our full review. [via AppleInsider]
U.K. iPhone carrier O2 is partnering with micro-blogging service Twitter to let O2 customers receive SMS notifications of certain messages. Beginning August 1, every O2 customer will be able to turn on text notifications within Twitter to receive text alerts for @ replies and direct messages for free. Customers will also be able to send updates to the service as part of their regular messaging plan. O2’s fair use policy will allow for up to 600 Twitter messages per month.
Apple is now offering unlocked iPhone 3GS units through its Online Store in Hong Kong. Pricing for the iPhone 3GS is HK$5,388—roughly $695—for 16GB units and HK$6,288 (~$811) for 32GB models. In addition, pricing on the 8GB iPhone 3G has dropped from HK$5,400 (~$695) to HK$4,488, or roughly $579. Apple began offering the iPhone 3G unlocked in Hong Kong in September of 2008.
Both T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. are in talks with Apple to offer the iPhone 3G in the country, according to a new report. The Register Hardware reports that T-Mobile “told” them it is in talks with Apple about offering its prior-generation handset in the next few months, and says that Orange is also rumored to be negotiating an iPhone 3G offering. Notably, the iPhone 3GS is not said to be part of any talks, as its exclusive on the new handset “seems to be secure.” O2 has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.K. since its launch in the country on November 9, 2007.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0