Mix: In-Ear Headphone update, O2 + Twitter, unlocked 3GS, UK carriers
Following changes previously made to the Earphones with Remote packaged with the iPod shuffle 3G and Earphones with Remote and Mic included with the iPhone 3GS, Apple has quietly updated the 3.5mm plug on its In-Ear Headphones. The smaller plug is now made of hard, glossy white plastic as opposed to soft matte rubber, and matches the thinner diameter of the iPod shuffle 3G body. Apple’s In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic are available now and sell for $79; for more information, see our full review. [via AppleInsider]
U.K. iPhone carrier O2 is partnering with micro-blogging service Twitter to let O2 customers receive SMS notifications of certain messages. Beginning August 1, every O2 customer will be able to turn on text notifications within Twitter to receive text alerts for @ replies and direct messages for free. Customers will also be able to send updates to the service as part of their regular messaging plan. O2’s fair use policy will allow for up to 600 Twitter messages per month.
Apple is now offering unlocked iPhone 3GS units through its Online Store in Hong Kong. Pricing for the iPhone 3GS is HK$5,388—roughly $695—for 16GB units and HK$6,288 (~$811) for 32GB models. In addition, pricing on the 8GB iPhone 3G has dropped from HK$5,400 (~$695) to HK$4,488, or roughly $579. Apple began offering the iPhone 3G unlocked in Hong Kong in September of 2008.
Both T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. are in talks with Apple to offer the iPhone 3G in the country, according to a new report. The Register Hardware reports that T-Mobile “told” them it is in talks with Apple about offering its prior-generation handset in the next few months, and says that Orange is also rumored to be negotiating an iPhone 3G offering. Notably, the iPhone 3GS is not said to be part of any talks, as its exclusive on the new handset “seems to be secure.” O2 has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.K. since its launch in the country on November 9, 2007.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks