Mix: In-Ear Headphone update, O2 + Twitter, unlocked 3GS, UK carriers
Following changes previously made to the Earphones with Remote packaged with the iPod shuffle 3G and Earphones with Remote and Mic included with the iPhone 3GS, Apple has quietly updated the 3.5mm plug on its In-Ear Headphones. The smaller plug is now made of hard, glossy white plastic as opposed to soft matte rubber, and matches the thinner diameter of the iPod shuffle 3G body. Apple’s In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic are available now and sell for $79; for more information, see our full review. [via AppleInsider]
U.K. iPhone carrier O2 is partnering with micro-blogging service Twitter to let O2 customers receive SMS notifications of certain messages. Beginning August 1, every O2 customer will be able to turn on text notifications within Twitter to receive text alerts for @ replies and direct messages for free. Customers will also be able to send updates to the service as part of their regular messaging plan. O2’s fair use policy will allow for up to 600 Twitter messages per month.
Apple is now offering unlocked iPhone 3GS units through its Online Store in Hong Kong. Pricing for the iPhone 3GS is HK$5,388—roughly $695—for 16GB units and HK$6,288 (~$811) for 32GB models. In addition, pricing on the 8GB iPhone 3G has dropped from HK$5,400 (~$695) to HK$4,488, or roughly $579. Apple began offering the iPhone 3G unlocked in Hong Kong in September of 2008.
Both T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. are in talks with Apple to offer the iPhone 3G in the country, according to a new report. The Register Hardware reports that T-Mobile “told” them it is in talks with Apple about offering its prior-generation handset in the next few months, and says that Orange is also rumored to be negotiating an iPhone 3G offering. Notably, the iPhone 3GS is not said to be part of any talks, as its exclusive on the new handset “seems to be secure.” O2 has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.K. since its launch in the country on November 9, 2007.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels