Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
Code found in the beta version of iOS 5 points to two future iPad 3 models. TUAW reports that declarations have been found in the iOS system files that reference “iPad3,1” and “iPad3,2.” The report suggests that since there are only two models mentioned, and not three as for the iPad 2, that the 3G/4G version of the iPad 3 may be compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. Notably, no mention of a fifth-generation iPod touch was found.
According to the latest data from IHS iSuppli, Apple became the world’s largest buyer of semiconductors among OEMs, purchasing $17.5 billion in semiconductors, up 79.6 percent from its $9.7 billion expenditure in 2009. The company surpassed HP and Samsung electronics to hold the first place spot in 2010, both of which were ahead of Apple in 2009. The report projects Apple to spend even more on semiconductors in 2011.
Terry Gou, Chairman of Hon Hai, Foxconn Technology Group’s flagship entity, recently made comments on the difficulty and rewards of working with Apple. Speaking at the company’s annual shareholders meeting, Gou said that steps to more efficiently make Apple products such as the iPad would start to pay off in the second half of this year, Bloomberg reports. Classifying Apple’s devices as “very difficult to make,” Gou said that the company is continuously learning ways to make the products more efficiently, and in turn generate more profit for itself. “We’ve helped Apple make a lot of money,” Gou said. “If our customers make money, then we can also make money. I most fear customers that don’t make money.”
At its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple this week announced the winners of its 2011 Apple Design Awards. Among the Student winners were Grades 2 from Tapity, Pennant by Vargatron, and Pulse News Reader by Alphonso Labs, while iPhone winners included Cut the Rope by Chillingo, Golfscape GPS Rangefinder by Shotzoom, and Infinity Blade by Chair Entertainment. Finally, in the iPad category, the winners were Osmos by Hemisphere Games, Our Choice by Push Pop Press, and Djay by algoriddim. [via TUAW]
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Problem with iPad app grounds American Airlines flights
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Users with arm tattoos report problems with Apple Watch sensors
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?