Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
Code found in the beta version of iOS 5 points to two future iPad 3 models. TUAW reports that declarations have been found in the iOS system files that reference “iPad3,1” and “iPad3,2.” The report suggests that since there are only two models mentioned, and not three as for the iPad 2, that the 3G/4G version of the iPad 3 may be compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. Notably, no mention of a fifth-generation iPod touch was found.
According to the latest data from IHS iSuppli, Apple became the world’s largest buyer of semiconductors among OEMs, purchasing $17.5 billion in semiconductors, up 79.6 percent from its $9.7 billion expenditure in 2009. The company surpassed HP and Samsung electronics to hold the first place spot in 2010, both of which were ahead of Apple in 2009. The report projects Apple to spend even more on semiconductors in 2011.
Terry Gou, Chairman of Hon Hai, Foxconn Technology Group’s flagship entity, recently made comments on the difficulty and rewards of working with Apple. Speaking at the company’s annual shareholders meeting, Gou said that steps to more efficiently make Apple products such as the iPad would start to pay off in the second half of this year, Bloomberg reports. Classifying Apple’s devices as “very difficult to make,” Gou said that the company is continuously learning ways to make the products more efficiently, and in turn generate more profit for itself. “We’ve helped Apple make a lot of money,” Gou said. “If our customers make money, then we can also make money. I most fear customers that don’t make money.”
At its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple this week announced the winners of its 2011 Apple Design Awards. Among the Student winners were Grades 2 from Tapity, Pennant by Vargatron, and Pulse News Reader by Alphonso Labs, while iPhone winners included Cut the Rope by Chillingo, Golfscape GPS Rangefinder by Shotzoom, and Infinity Blade by Chair Entertainment. Finally, in the iPad category, the winners were Osmos by Hemisphere Games, Our Choice by Push Pop Press, and Djay by algoriddim. [via TUAW]
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?