Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
Code found in the beta version of iOS 5 points to two future iPad 3 models. TUAW reports that declarations have been found in the iOS system files that reference “iPad3,1” and “iPad3,2.” The report suggests that since there are only two models mentioned, and not three as for the iPad 2, that the 3G/4G version of the iPad 3 may be compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. Notably, no mention of a fifth-generation iPod touch was found.
According to the latest data from IHS iSuppli, Apple became the world’s largest buyer of semiconductors among OEMs, purchasing $17.5 billion in semiconductors, up 79.6 percent from its $9.7 billion expenditure in 2009. The company surpassed HP and Samsung electronics to hold the first place spot in 2010, both of which were ahead of Apple in 2009. The report projects Apple to spend even more on semiconductors in 2011.
Terry Gou, Chairman of Hon Hai, Foxconn Technology Group’s flagship entity, recently made comments on the difficulty and rewards of working with Apple. Speaking at the company’s annual shareholders meeting, Gou said that steps to more efficiently make Apple products such as the iPad would start to pay off in the second half of this year, Bloomberg reports. Classifying Apple’s devices as “very difficult to make,” Gou said that the company is continuously learning ways to make the products more efficiently, and in turn generate more profit for itself. “We’ve helped Apple make a lot of money,” Gou said. “If our customers make money, then we can also make money. I most fear customers that don’t make money.”
At its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple this week announced the winners of its 2011 Apple Design Awards. Among the Student winners were Grades 2 from Tapity, Pennant by Vargatron, and Pulse News Reader by Alphonso Labs, while iPhone winners included Cut the Rope by Chillingo, Golfscape GPS Rangefinder by Shotzoom, and Infinity Blade by Chair Entertainment. Finally, in the iPad category, the winners were Osmos by Hemisphere Games, Our Choice by Push Pop Press, and Djay by algoriddim. [via TUAW]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks