Mix: iPad demand, supplier responsibility, iPhone 3GS mod, George Fox
According to a new survey from ChangeWave, 13% of respondents were either somewhat or very likely to purchase an iPad, a higher percentage than that of potential original iPhone customers before its launch. In the February survey of over 3,200 respondents, 4% said they were very likely to purchase an iPad, while another 9% said they were somewhat likely; these numbers compare to percentages of 3% and 6%, respectively, from a similar survey conducted ahead of the original iPhone launch in April 2007. Interestingly, the iPad numbers are down from ChangeWave’s January pre-announcement iPad survey, in which 4% of respondents said they were very likely to purchase an Apple tablet, and another 14% said they were at least somewhat likely. In addition, three-quarters of interested consumers in the January survey said they were willing to pay $500 or more for the device.
Apple has released its official 2010 Supplier Responsibility Progress Report (PDF Link). The report outlines Apple’s Supplier Code of Conduct, covering areas including labor and human rights, health and safety, environmental impact, and ethics. According to the report, Apple conducted audits at 102 facilities in 2009, up from 83 in 2008 and 39 in 2007, and performed annual audits of all final assembly manufacturers. Overall, the company identified 17 core violations—the most serious class of violation in Apple’s Code of Conduct—including eight violations involving excessive recruitment fees; three cases where underage workers had been hired; three cases where the supplier contracted with non-certified vendors for hazardous waste disposal; and three cases of falsified records provided during the audit.
iPhone owner Martin Schrotz has created a custom rear case for his iPhone 3GS (Pictured). Dissatisfied with the phone’s plastic back, Schrotz created a new back cover in a CAD modeling program, and had it made out of a special RF-transparent titanium alloy, as his first aluminum effort was “a complete disaster.” More photos of the modded 3GS are available at the above link. [via Engadget]
George Fox, a Christian college in Oregon, has decided to offer all incoming undergraduate student a choice between an iPad and a MacBook, beginning in August. “With this, we’re basically asking students ‘What computing system will work best for you?’” Greg Smith, the university’s chief information officer, says. “By giving them this option, they can choose between the iPad, a mobile device known for its networking and E-textbook capabilities, or the laptop, which offers more computing horsepower.” Macsimum News reports that the college has supplied incoming students with a computer for more than 20 years, and is planning to expand Wi-Fi coverage in its dormitories to help accomodate the growing number of mobile devices on campus.
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Apple eyed Bill Simmons for exclusive podcast deal
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?