Mix: iPad hospital, iTunes Festival, iPad user, ARM rumor
Kaweah Delta Health Care District in Visalia, CA is preparing to deploy more than 100 iPads for use by healthcare workers. Network World reports that the while the Nick Volosin, Keweah’s director of technical services, has bought three iPads for testing already, roughly 20 of the hospital’s doctors had already purchased one. “This is going to make my day easier and patient safety better,” Kidney Specialist Dr. Roger Haley said during an interview with a local ABC news station. “Now, I don’t have to find a workstation to do what I need to do; I do it right there, right then, right now.” The 100-plus iPads planned for deployment will be used by all manner of healthcare workers, including home health and hospice care workers, nurses, dietitians, and pharmacists.
Apple has announced the dates for its 2010 London iTunes Festival, to be held at Camden’s Roundhouse in London. As in past years, the Festival will feature 62 bands playing over the 31 nights of July, kicking off with Scissor Sisters on the 1st, Tony Bennett on the 2nd, and Ozzy Osbourne on the 3rd; more artists are expected to be announced in the coming days. For more information, visit the official iTunes Festival website. [via TUAW]
99-year-old Virginia Campbell has become the subject of a recent television segment and a YouTube tribute thanks to her new iPad. In an interview with Fox 12 in Oregon, Campbell revealed that while she had been an avid reader, and enjoyed writing, she had been unable to do either recently due to her glaucoma, which made it impossible for her to read large-print library books or even her own handwriting. Since receiving the iPad, Campbell has been able to read again, thanks in part to the high contrast of the device’s screen, and has been using Pages for composition. Continue reading to see both videos below in embedded form.
Apple may be considering an acquisition of chip designer ARM Holdings, if a curiously-sourced London Evening Standard report is to be believed. Citing “gossips,” the report claims that Apple would be interested in ARM due to its use of ARM’s designs in its iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad processors; these same speculators suggest a deal for ARM would cost around £5.2 billion, or roughly $8 billion. ARM CEO Warren East sees the situation differently, however, telling The Guardian, “Exciting though it is to have [our] share price pushed up by these rumours, common sense tells us that our standard business model is an excellent way for technology companies to gain access to our technology. Nobody has to buy the company.”
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?