Mix: iPad in school, iPad theft, Google acquisition, iPad display
Monte Vista Christian School in Watsonville, California has launched a new pilot program with 60 iPads that has advanced placement students using the devices a learning tools. “There are many academic advantages,” said Headmaster Stephen Sharp. “They provide new access to photos, videos, daily newspapers and resource material that enhance the curriculum.” Sharp anticipates replacing heavy, traditional textbooks with interactive versions running on the iPad should the pilot program go well. [via MDN]
A Denver man was the recent victim of a gruesome iPad theft that left him missing a finger. Bill Jordan had just left the Apple retail store in the Cherry Creek Mall, shopping bag wrapped around his his fingers, when two men approached and ripped the bag away, taking much of Jordan’s pinky finger. “I saw just a bone, all the skin and tendons and everything were off,” Jordan said; he was later taken to the hospital, where a hand surgeon was forced to amputate part of his finger. The suspects in the robbery, caught on surveillance footage, have yet to be apprehended.
Google has purchased a startup company launched by former P.A. Semi and Apple employees. PEHub reports that Google has confirmed its acquisition of Agnilux, a somewhat mysterious startup rumored to be working on some kind of server and personally funded with proceeds from Apple’s earlier acquisition of P.A. Semi. Pricing terms of the deal have yet to be revealed; it was recently reported that P.A. Semi founder and former Apple employee Dan Dobberpuhl had left Apple to join his other former P.A. Semi colleagues at Agnilux. [via AppleInsider]
According to an ifoAppleStore report, many Apple retail stores are seeing small problems with their iPad displays after just a few weeks on the market. In particular, the power/security cables connected to the iPad are prone to fraying near the 30-pin connector, due to customers’ tendency to repeatedly spin and rotate the device in many different directions. In addition, many units are now left covered in fingerprints, as cleaning has become “less proactive.”
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iBattz Refuel Invictus for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?