Mix: iPad screens, Samsung expansion, H-W suit, VP exit
Apple has reached a deal with AU Optronics for the latter to supply large amounts of flat panel displays for the iPad 2, according to a new report. Without citing any sources, the Economic Daily News reports that Apple offered three to four times the going rate for the displays, but has managed to secure half of the company’s fifth-generation plant’s capacity, and due to Apple’s rigorous quality demands, the yield rate is only expected to reach 60-70 percent.
Samsung is set to hire 300 engineers and technicians as part of a $3.6 billion expansion of its Austin, TX plant. According to the EE Times, the decision to expand the plant, which previously only made NAND flash memory chips, was made last year. The plant will now also produce logic devices as well, with Apple said to be the primary customer, suggesting that the plant may house production facilities for future versions of Apple’s mobile processors. [via MDN]
Apple is among a group of companies named in a lawsuit by H-W Technology. H-W is claiming that Apple, along with a host of other companies that includes Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, RIM, Samsung, and Verizon, infringes on a patent entitled “Internet Protocol (IP) Phone with Search and Advertising Capability,” which the company claims covers smartphones. H-W is seeking a permanent injunction against the companies, as well as damages.
Allison Johnson, Apple’s vice president of worldwide marketing communications, is leaving the company, according to a new report. Citing several unnamed sources, AllThingsD reports that Johnson will be leaving her post sometime during the summer to co-found a new marketing and communications firm with former Facebook PR executive Brandee Barker. Johnson has held her position at Apple since 2005, and previously worked for HP.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014