Mix: iPad screens, Samsung expansion, H-W suit, VP exit
Apple has reached a deal with AU Optronics for the latter to supply large amounts of flat panel displays for the iPad 2, according to a new report. Without citing any sources, the Economic Daily News reports that Apple offered three to four times the going rate for the displays, but has managed to secure half of the company’s fifth-generation plant’s capacity, and due to Apple’s rigorous quality demands, the yield rate is only expected to reach 60-70 percent.
Samsung is set to hire 300 engineers and technicians as part of a $3.6 billion expansion of its Austin, TX plant. According to the EE Times, the decision to expand the plant, which previously only made NAND flash memory chips, was made last year. The plant will now also produce logic devices as well, with Apple said to be the primary customer, suggesting that the plant may house production facilities for future versions of Apple’s mobile processors. [via MDN]
Apple is among a group of companies named in a lawsuit by H-W Technology. H-W is claiming that Apple, along with a host of other companies that includes Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, RIM, Samsung, and Verizon, infringes on a patent entitled “Internet Protocol (IP) Phone with Search and Advertising Capability,” which the company claims covers smartphones. H-W is seeking a permanent injunction against the companies, as well as damages.
Allison Johnson, Apple’s vice president of worldwide marketing communications, is leaving the company, according to a new report. Citing several unnamed sources, AllThingsD reports that Johnson will be leaving her post sometime during the summer to co-found a new marketing and communications firm with former Facebook PR executive Brandee Barker. Johnson has held her position at Apple since 2005, and previously worked for HP.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Report: 5.5” iPhone 6 to use 2915 mAh battery
- Apple to debut reversible USB Lightning cable?
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pako — Car Chase Simulator
- FLA cites Quanta for further Apple labor problems
- Apple adds more vice presidents to executive webpage
- Apple shareholder files class action over anti-poaching agreement
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- Zagg Rugged Folio for iPad Air
- Lepow Pie X-Series Magnetic Power Bank and Case Combo
- Tylt Energi 2K Smart Travel Charger
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today