Mix: iPhone 2.2, Norway DRM, iPhone robot, Remember The Milk
According to new screenshots (Translated Link) of iPhone Software 2.2, Apple has activated new features of the iTunes Store to allow users to download podcasts directly to their device. Podcasts appear in the normal Downloads area, and according to a report (Translated Link) from m4gic.net, podcasts 10 MB or less in size can be downloaded over cellular data networks, while larger files require Wi-Fi. In addition, the screenshots show that the App Store’s Categories listing will gain icons to the left of the category name. [via Mac Rumors]
Apple’s response to Norwegian Consumer Ombudsman Bjorn Erik Thon’s plan to bring an iTunes case before the country’s Market Council has failed to satisfy regulators, according to a new report. Thon, who has claimed for some time that Apple’s iTunes DRM scheme and contract terms breach the Norwegian Marketing Control Act, said in September, “It’s a consumer’s right to transfer and play digital content bought and downloaded from the Internet to the music device he himself chooses to use. iTunes makes this impossible or at least difficult, and hence, they act in breach of Norwegian law.” After seeing Apple’s response, Thom stated, “We have received an answer from iTunes, but it was an answer that didn’t add anything of substance. We will now continue what we have done so far, prepare to bring the case before the Market Council.”
An ambitious iPhone 3G user has posted videos of two hacks he has made to the device, including the addition of a physical keyboard and a robot-like platform. The iPhone 3G used for the modifications has been jailbroken and uses Ruby code to interface with the mods. With the ability to move on its own, the iPhone/robot hack is controlled from the modder’s computer over Wi-Fi, and is able to record its view for later playback. [via Engadget]
Popular online task management service Remember The Milk has released a new iPhone and iPod touch application. The app, which requires a $25/year Pro account, allows users to access their tasks directly from the device, see tasks located nearby, add and complete tasks, organize upcoming tasks, and sync wirelessly with the service. Remember The Milk is available as a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?