Mix: iPhone 3G ads, Gartner, iFund, DownloadShopper
As part of a legal rebuttal to a prior complaint and lawsuit by iPhone customer William Gillis over iPhone 3G issues and possible false advertising based on the “twice as fast for half the price” claim, Apple has stated that “no reasonable person” should have actually believed the slogan. “Plaintiff’s claims, and those of the purported class, are barred by the fact that the alleged deceptive statements were such that no reasonable person in Plaintiff’s position could have reasonably relied on or misunderstood Apple’s statements as claims of fact,” Apple said in its response. Gillis was one of many disgruntled iPhone customers to file suit against the company, and AT&T, in the aftermath of issues surrounding the iPhone 3G’s initial release.
Market research company Gartner has released its third-quarter smartphone findings, showing Apple in the third position in global smartphone marketshare with 12.9% of the market. More notably, however, Gartner also revealed that for the first time, iPhone sales exceeded sales of Windows Mobile devices both worldwide and in North America. Finally, the company said that Apple shipped nearly 7 million iPhones into the channel in the third quarter, but has built up around 2 million units of inventory. The firm said overall smartphone marketshare grew 11.5% year-over-year.
According to a new report, over 550 companies had their applications to Kleiner Perkins’ iFund compromised after they were accidentally published to the web. TechCrunch reports that the data was accidentally published by KPCB’s former hosting provider Meteora Technologies Group in the form of an SQL database file. The file has since been removed, but exposed very detailed information about the companies, including contact information, business plans, financial information, and more.
Web developer Matt Brucker has launched a new site that allows users to search for music and compare prices between several major online music stores. DownloadShopper.com lets users search by Artist, Song, or Album, and compare pricing on the iTunes Store, Amazon MP3, and Wal-Mart, with markings for iTunes Plus tracks as well as pricing for both individual tracks and complete albums. In addition, the site offers a “Hot Deals” section listing free or discounted downloads from all three stores.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?