Mix: iPhone in India, Ireland, and Switzerland
Apple may launch the iPhone in India this year, according to a new report. The Business Standard, citing “Apple sources,” says the 8GB model will appear on the market first, with Vodafone as the carrier. “The carrier deal for India is being worked out with Vodafone,” said the source, adding: “Vodafone could also become the carrier for the Australian market once iPhone is launched there, though more than one carrier is likely for Australia.” The report states that the 16GB model’s launch may be staggered to the middle of 2009, “based on buyer response.”
Despite the recent, limited-time price reduction on the 8GB iPhone by O2 in the UK, the company claims it has no plans of extending the discount to customers in Ireland. “At present, we have no plans to introduce a similar promotional offer,” said the company. “However, as with all our products and services, we will continue to review our pricing strategy for the iPhone on an ongoing basis.”
There are 34,200 active iPhones operating in Switzerland (subscription req.), according to a report from Swiss newspaper Heute. Citing spokespersons from Swiss carriers Orange Switzerland, Sunrise, and Swisscom, the paper reports that the number of active iPhones on Swisscom grew from 13,000 in March to 20,000 in April, with Orange reporting 9,500 active phones, and Sunrise claiming 4,700 active devices. Apple has yet to announce a carrier and release date for the iPhone in Switzerland.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards