Mix: iPhone in Japan, Flickr use, Hackers target iPhone
SoftBank Mobile, currently the only carrier offering the iPhone in Japan, added more subscribers in July than any other Japanese telecom, in part due to the launch of the iPhone. Tech-On reports that competing carrier KDDI had more cancellations with mobile number portability (MNP) than subscriptions with MNP for the first time in July, with cancellations temporarily increasing following the iPhone’s launch. “SoftBank’s other handsets might have drawn interest in the wake of the iPhone’s release as well,” a KDDI spokesperson said. “We are, however, not sure if the impact will continue from now.” By comparison, SoftBank posted a net growth of 52,000 subscriptions, with the company stating that “[w]e believe our large net growth was an iPhone effect.”
The iPhone continues to be the most used cameraphone, according to monthly statistics from photo sharing site Flickr. After gaining the lead, and then briefly losing it to the rival Nokia N95, the iPhone has once again taken the lead in cameraphone use, possibly propelled by sales of the iPhone 3G. The site’s Apple camera page (the company previously made a line of QuickTake digital cameras) shows that in a little more than a year, over 3.3 million photos have been uploaded from iPhones, with 1,298 average daily users. [via TUAW]
Apple products, in particular the iPhone, are drawing increased attention from hackers as they gain in popularity worldwide, according to an AFP report. “There are more eyes looking over Apple products for vulnerabilities,” security vulnerability analyst Cameron Hotchkies said in an interview at the annual DefCon hacker conference. Hotchkies pointed to the soon-after-release “jailbreaking” of the iPhone 3G as an example, saying “it shows people are getting proficient at analyzing Apple software.” “There are people looking at the iPhone. We pass vulnerabilities on to vendors, and when I communicate with Apple the first thing they ask is if we’ve tested it on the iPhone. They don’t want to be surprised,” Hotchkies added.
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?