Mix: iPhone insurance, Bulk Apps, Chinese iPhone 3G
OH-based insurance company Safeware is now offering insurance for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The comprehensive plan provides coverage against accidental damage, liquid spills, power surge, drops, falls, collisions, flood, fire, vandalism and theft. Pricing is based on the model of phone and runs $82 per year for a 16GB iPhone 3GS, not including a $100 per incident deductible. There is no time since purchase requirement to sign up, no occurrence limit, and no waiting period for new claims. For more information, visit Safeware’s iPhone insurance page.
Skyhook Wireless, provider of the iPhone’s and iPod touch’s Wi-Fi-based location feature, has released its latest report (PDF Link) on location-aware (LBS) apps. While the most common price point for LBS apps on both the App Store and Android Marketplace was $1, the report suggests this is due to what the company calls “bulk apps,” or template-based applications that sold at the same price point but with different content. As an example, the report singles out one developer who sells over 850 travel apps based on the same template, but with location-specific content in each. The report claims that nearly 1/3 of all LBS apps on the App Store are these mass-produced local search or travel guides, and that while Apple enjoys touting the large number of apps available on the store, bulk apps account for much of this volume.
Citing an unnamed source, Chinese-language daily 163.com is reporting that a Shenzhen, China subsidiary of Foxconn has begun mass production of a customized iPhone 3G meant for the Chinese market and China Unicom in particular. This customized model reportedly lacks built-in Wi-Fi, which lines up with information from an independent iLounge source, who indicated that mainland China would get a slightly different version of the iPhone than other countries. The 163 report goes on to indicate that the iPhone will receive its network license after negotiations between China Unicom and Apple have finished, possibly in the next few weeks. [via Tech Trader Daily]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?