Mix: iPhone, locoGPS, Apple TV, Land Rover, Koch
New research has found that the iPhone is the most popular mobile on the Holiday wish lists of 13 to 25-year-olds in the U.S. Peanut Labs surveyed 1175 “Gen-Y” consumers, 34 percent of whom say they plan to spend more than $300 on consumer electronics purchases this Holiday season.
The partFoundry has revealed that it is developing an external GPS dongle for the iPhone. The locoGPS will connect to the iPhone via Dock Connector and will utilize open source, community-based software to interface with the iPhone and the Google Maps application. The company says the locoGPS will begin shipping in February, coinciding with Apple’s announced release of a third-party software development kit for the iPhone.
A new study by ABI Research says that the Apple TV is leading “a new breed” of internet video delivery devices. The group also said the new category of devices “will see shipments of 1.2 million in 2008.” Michael Wolf, director of research with ABI, said, “we believe that there is a possibility of a break-out success among these new entrants if they can create compelling content offerings, make consumer installation and management incredibly easy, and offer both the hardware and content at compelling pricing.”
Land Rover has unveiled its new LRX concept vehicle, which features an iPhone docking system as an integral feature of the design. In addition to the iPhone Dock positioned in the center console, the LRX also features “removable and power-adjustable speakers [that] include an iPod docking station.” It appears that docking an iPhone in the vehicle causes a different home screen to load, featuring a prominent “Start” button, presumably for the engine, and select iPhone applications including Google Maps, Weather, Clock, and Calendar. [via Engadget]
Independent music label Koch Records has announced that its catalog is now available DRM-free through iTunes Plus. Bob Frank, President of KOCH Records, says, “KOCH Records continues to embrace new delivery methods and technologies as we always have. We have never buried our heads in the sand and have reaped the benefits as we have the best year in our history.”
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?