Mix: iPhone patent, Apple in China, ITV, iPhone clones, iTunes boots homophobes | iLounge News

Mix: iPhone patent, Apple in China, ITV, iPhone clones, iTunes boots homophobes

Apple has received a patent covering messaging on portable touchscreen devices (such as the iPhone), which goes beyond SMS to cover web-based instant messaging as well. Published in March, the patent is titled “portable device for instant messaging” and includes images depicting a user interface much like that of the iPhone’s SMS application, with patent claims covering the device’s unique ability to use a contacts database to group together all messages from one person, regardless of the phone number or electronic addresses he issending the messages from.

A new Apple store-within-a-store has been unveiled at a Shanghai area Best Buy. The store-in-store, Apple’s first in mainland China, was awarded to the Xuhui Best Buy due to that location being the leading retailer of Apple products in China in 2007. According to reports, the store-within-a-store occupies a total area of about 50 sq. meters, and displays more than 60 different Apple computers, devices, and accessories.

Programming from ITV has been added to the iTunes Store in the UK. Currently available programs include “Lewis,” “Brideshead Revisited,” “Captain Scarlet,” “Goodnight Mr. Tom,” “Cold Feet,” and “The Saint.” The Store’s ITV page also suggests that more shows will be added “soon.” [via Macworld UK]

Apple has begun aggressively pursuing iPhone clone dealers, according to a TG Daily report. Simon Rimmer, managing director of UK reseller Digital Playground, said that Apple’s legal team sent it a letter threatening legal action. Apple said Digital Playground had infringed on its designs by importing, marketing, and offering cloned iPhones which gave “the same overall impression as Apple’s registered design.” Rimmer settled with Apple out of court; as a result of the agreement he must stop selling iPhone clones, send Apple his remaining stock, reveal how many he imported, offered, and sold, as well as revealing his supplier.

Faced with pressure from several Canadian gay/lesbian rights organizations including Stop Murder Music, iTunes has pulled select songs, and in some cases entire albums, from certain artists whose lyrics were said to be homophobic. “Boom Bye Bye” by Buju Banton, as well as other selections from artists T.O.K. and Elephant Man have been removed from the iTunes Store. Akim Larcher, founder of Canada-based Stop Murder Music, said “this is an historic victory for the LGBT community here in Canada and in the Caribbean. iTunes is exercising its corporate responsibility by pulling this murder music and raising the bar for other retailers and distributors to do the same.” [via Broward-Palm Beach New Times]

« Macally TurboTune compact speakers coming soon

DLO releases 2008 TransDock, Classic, and Micro FM transmitter-chargers [updated] »

Comments

“iTunes has pulled select songs, and in some cases entire albums, from certain artists whose lyrics were said to be homophobic.”

Hmmm… sounds a lot like a book burning to me.  Just how many people does it take to intimidate iTunes into pulling artists who views are different than mine?

I thought tolerance was about allowing ALL views to be heard.  iTunes doesn’t seem to be tolerant of the intolerant.  So is that even tolerance?  Sounds more like prejudice.  If you want free speech in a free world, you’re going to have to tolerate the ignorance of homophobes.

I don’t like the Nazi web sites that are out there, but I would hate to see any human prevented from speaking his or her mind.  I’m not disappointed to see the above named artists gone from the iTunes store.  I’ve never even heard of them.  But I am disappointed that iTunes would cave into the pressure of any special interest group.  This is America… it’s still legal to speak your mind.  If you Canadians want to let your government dictate the words that are allowed to leave your mouths, go right ahead.  It wouldn’t be the first government in history to make such an attempt.

“We hate hatters!”  Doesn’t something in that idea sound contradictory?

Posted by Mike M on April 22, 2008 at 8:33 PM (CDT)

No, it sounds like someone is taking a stand against filth.
Let them sell the CDs.
America and all.
But if I ran Apple, I’d pull it too.
Good for them.
Stand for nothing or fall for anything.
‘Tis true.
I’m tired of the smut and the peddlers.

Posted by slb on April 22, 2008 at 9:50 PM (CDT)

Advocating the injury or murder of people based on their sexual orientation is repugnant, and companies such as Apple are under no obligation to give such advocates a platform. It’s not book burning; it is a company’s choice not to profit from or distribute content that has little to no place in a civilized society.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM (CDT)

“Advocating the injury or murder of people based on their sexual orientation is repugnant”

WOW!  That’s the kind of content they removed?  I didn’t know.  I’m going to Google the above named artists to see if that’s exactly what they advocate and I’ll comment later on my findings.  Like I said, I’ve never heard of these “artists”.

Posted by Mike M on April 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

Well I Googled the names mentioned above and read some of the lyrics and….

MY APOLOGIES!!!!

I had no idea such songs existed.  Yes… good on you iTunes!

Posted by Mike M on April 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM (CDT)

“With great power, comes great responsibility.”

Kudos to Apple if this is true.

Posted by MacSheikh on April 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM (CDT)

As a gay guy and as an appreciator of all arts, I’m a little disappointed in Apple.  I’d rather give an artist a leeway to express themselves, even if it runs contrary to my beliefs - even if the message is, “Kill gays.”  Because often the message isn’t so simple. Often the artist is asking the listener to consider an unpopular opinion - just for that - just to consider an unpopular opinion - not necessarily THAT PARTICULAR unpopular opinion.

No, what I’m more upset about on iTunes are the reviewers of works like Brokeback Mountain that say things like, “Guys kissing.  Eeeeeew.”  Because that is true, unfettered ignorance, and it’s allowed as a real opinion of the artistic work.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on April 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

“The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.”

Blocking sales of objectionable (my some) content may seem right, but censorship in any form never is.

Good thing I don’t buy anything from the iTuns Store anyway.

Posted by The Doctor on April 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

Mike M. I’m a little confused by your remarks. First you say that “tolerance is about allowing ALL views to be heard”, but then, upon discovering just how repugnant the views are, you pronounce “good on [sic] iTunes”. Either you agree that tolerance is about allowing ALL views, or you don’t. The Supreme court has already told us the legal limits on free speech (time, place, and manner).

But the problem is that this has nothing to do with free speech. Apple is a Corporation. Apple is not held to the same standards as government or governmental bodies.

Having said all that I posted above, I find the views expressed by these bands equally repugnant, but Apple is headed down a slippery slope when it starts deciding what is or is not repugnant for its audience. Remember, there was a time when Elvis’s hips were considered repugnant. I’d prefer to let the listening public decide in an open market what is worthy of purchasing, rather than have Apple make that decision for us. I certainly wouldn’t have purchased any of this music and I know that most iLounge visitors wouldn’t either. I just think the message sent by the entire iTunes audience would be more powerful than the message sent by Apple itself.

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

I have lived in such a society for all of my childhood and my early adulthood so I totally understand the sentiments behind the song and can understand Apple’s decision to pull such music form it’s store.

In case you don’t know, the in the song “Boom Bye Bye”, the chorus goes “Boom Bye Bye inna battybway Head” which translates to mean “Gun shot (boom bye bye is the sound the gun makes) to the head of gays.”

Posted by ahMEmon on April 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

Apple, as a private entity, is free to do what it wishes. I can appreciate the company’s desire to not let an artist utilize its vehicle to profit from violent propaganda. For those like the Doctor, who would tell us that “censorship…never is [right],” I submit that the greater wrong is in allowing a reprobate like Buju Banton to use your “store” as a venue for spreading repugnant and inexcusable sentiment.

This is not some sort of clandestine, underhanded form of government rights-trampling. It’s a corporation distancing itself from an artist with vicious intent. The self-righteous posturing for free speech is absurd.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on April 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM (CDT)

“Well shiver me timbers!”

Posted by Sha-Qwahnda Buttsman on April 23, 2008 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

As an italian, I’m offended by the Sopranos and want it pulled from itunes

Posted by wrong on April 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM (CDT)

You managed to choose one of the few examples (The Sopranos) that actually isn’t on iTunes… Oops…

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on April 23, 2008 at 1:16 PM (CDT)

As a Republican, I’m offended by The Daily Show and want it pulled from itunes.

Posted by wrong on April 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Adding to the Reductio ad absurdum started by #13 and #15…

The community of 1960’s-era ad executives is offended by “Mad Men” and wants it pulled from iTunes.

The mad scientist community is offended by the opening credit sequence of “Robot Chicken” and wants it pulled from iTunes.

The android community is offended by its portrayal in “Battlestar Galactica” and wants it pulled from iTunes.

Flippy and others that support Apple’s move: This is the “slippery slope” to which #9 referred.

Posted by The Doctor on April 23, 2008 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

I’m going to go out on limb here and say that songs about anybody, regardless of their sexual preference, are tasteless.

Good thing there’s never been a song about killing a heterosexual.  The outcry would be enormous.

Posted by matt on April 23, 2008 at 2:25 PM (CDT)

Apple is wrong in censoring!  I get so sick of hearing about how the “gay” community feels and how they have special privileges over everyone else.  Gimme a frickin’ break.  “Wrong” has it right.  If we had the right to pull stuff every time we were offended…I think there would be a GREAT DEAL of stuff not available on iTunes!  Check out some rap lyrics or how about Sweeney Todd—that has a great deal of “killing” in it!  Gimme a break Apple!!!  Your caving to the whining LGBT out there…and they are a whiny bunch indeed.

Posted by spudtak on April 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

I’m glad that Apple has pulled all offensive content from iTunes. You know, all the rap songs that degrade women, talk about committing crimes like murder, rape, suicide, theft and illegal drug use, etc. Oh wait, what’s this?

FAIL

Posted by mike on April 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

The Doctor’s sarcasm = epic fail.

Apple’s move isn’t a “slippery slope.” It’s no different than certain music stores refusing to sell Body Count’s album with “Cop Killer” in the early 1990s. To sell and proliferate merchandise that extols acts of violence against a large segment of the population is reprehensible and irresponsible of a private corporation that cares about its reputation.

Maybe you didn’t learn that in “medical school.” All the panties-wadding over the decision to yank a handful of fringe songs is solely for the purpose of being contrarian. If Apple announced that the sale of homophobic content would continue unfettered, you’d complain about the corporate callousness and greed inherent in that decision.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on April 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >