Mix: iPhone Vista, NPD, Genius Bar, Late Show
Speaking at Microsoft’s Worldwide Partner Conference in Washington, D.C., Microsoft COO Kevin Turner made several disparaging remarks about the iPhone 4, according to a Computerworld report. “It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I’m okay with that,” Turner said, referencing Microsoft’s replacement for Windows XP that was heavily criticized. He later poked fun at the phone’s reception issues, saying, “one of the things I want to make sure you know today is that you’re going to be able to use a Windows Phone 7 and not have to worry about how you’re holding it to make a phone call.”
A new NPD survey of over 3,800 iTunes users age 13 and up has revealed strong demand for Apple streaming options. Paid Content reports that based on the results, between seven and eight million iTunes users in the U.S. would have “strong interest” in a $10/month streaming service, with even higher demand—in the 13-15 million range—when free streaming access to users’ own iTunes libraries is included.
Apple is preparing to roll out a number of changes to its Genius Bar service areas at its retail stores. Mac Rumors reports that the changes will include active queue management, which will see other qualified employees more over to the Genius Bar as need to help handle walk-ins, the ability for technicians to handle more than one customer at a time when the first customer’s appointment is running long due to lengthy diagnostics or other time-consuming activities, a push for completing overnight repairs while removing some of the focus on “while you wait” repairs, and MobileGenius software deployed on iPod touch units around the store to allow other employees to provide rudimentary support while reducing clutter at the Genius Bar.
The iPhone was the subject of the “Top Ten” list on last night’s episode of the Late Show with David Letterman. Entitled “Top Ten Signs You’ve Purchased a Bad iPhone,” the list included reasons ranging from slightly humorous to slightly gross, but serves as yet another example of negative press for Apple due to the iPhone 4’s ongoing issues.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Russian Apple Online Store returns with increased prices
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Just Mobile TopGum
- Kenu Highline for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0