Mix: iPhone Vista, NPD, Genius Bar, Late Show
Speaking at Microsoft’s Worldwide Partner Conference in Washington, D.C., Microsoft COO Kevin Turner made several disparaging remarks about the iPhone 4, according to a Computerworld report. “It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I’m okay with that,” Turner said, referencing Microsoft’s replacement for Windows XP that was heavily criticized. He later poked fun at the phone’s reception issues, saying, “one of the things I want to make sure you know today is that you’re going to be able to use a Windows Phone 7 and not have to worry about how you’re holding it to make a phone call.”
A new NPD survey of over 3,800 iTunes users age 13 and up has revealed strong demand for Apple streaming options. Paid Content reports that based on the results, between seven and eight million iTunes users in the U.S. would have “strong interest” in a $10/month streaming service, with even higher demand—in the 13-15 million range—when free streaming access to users’ own iTunes libraries is included.
Apple is preparing to roll out a number of changes to its Genius Bar service areas at its retail stores. Mac Rumors reports that the changes will include active queue management, which will see other qualified employees more over to the Genius Bar as need to help handle walk-ins, the ability for technicians to handle more than one customer at a time when the first customer’s appointment is running long due to lengthy diagnostics or other time-consuming activities, a push for completing overnight repairs while removing some of the focus on “while you wait” repairs, and MobileGenius software deployed on iPod touch units around the store to allow other employees to provide rudimentary support while reducing clutter at the Genius Bar.
The iPhone was the subject of the “Top Ten” list on last night’s episode of the Late Show with David Letterman. Entitled “Top Ten Signs You’ve Purchased a Bad iPhone,” the list included reasons ranging from slightly humorous to slightly gross, but serves as yet another example of negative press for Apple due to the iPhone 4’s ongoing issues.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?