Mix: iPod tax, 7-11, UK robberies, Music industry | iLounge News

Mix: iPod tax, 7-11, UK robberies, Music industry

Japan’s music industry has asked the government to charge a royalty on portable digital music players. “Money earned from the fee, likely to be 2 percent to 5 percent of the retail price, would go to recording companies, songwriters and artists as compensation for lost revenue from home copying.”

7-11 stores in Japan will start selling iPods later this month. “Japanese consumers will be able to buy five types of iPod from the chain, including the iPod nano.”

Police in the UK have blamed an increase in street robberies on the popularity of iPods and mobile phones. “Figures to be released by the Home Office later this month are expected to reveal that muggings rose by almost 40% in some parts of the country last year.”

Newsweek has an article looking at the music industry’s crusade to collect shares of ad and content revenue for its music videos and artist searches on search engines like Google.

« Wooden iPod nano case announced

iAttire offers Halloween costumes for iPods »

Comments

Does this anger anyone else?

The recording industries are a horrible greedy enterprise.

There is no proof that buying an iPod or other personal music player means that you are stealing music.  The RIAA (or japanese equivalent) is just trying to steal more money from consumers and artists.  They realize that in a market economy, people are not going to pay $15 for a CD when they can download the music for free.

This is a sad attempt by the recording industries to capture more revenue.

Posted by Scott Meyer on October 10, 2005 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

Stealing music?  Most of what I listen to is ‘70s and ‘80s stuff that’s been long forgotten by the industry, bands like About Nine Times, Maurice & the Cliches, APB, Lydia Taylor, Mekanik Destruktiw Komandoh, etc., which I have to upload after ripping them from vinyl LPs.  Then if my friends like what they hear, and if I share that, is that stealing?  That is resurrecting music from the grave—where the recording industry buried it when it didn’t instantly pay off.  If anyone gets paid anything, I think I ought to get something for some of the work I’ve done toward reviving interest in some of these bands—many of whose members are alive and well, and pleasantly surprised to hear someone remembers them.  A couple of musicians have even talked about recording again.  So where’s my piece if they do that?

Posted by Charles Olsen on October 10, 2005 at 12:49 PM (CDT)

Dammit, this rubbish by recording industries has got to stop.  It’s akin to movie studios demanding they get a cut of the sale of DVD and VCR machines.  What BS….

Looking back at most of the music I’ve bought in the last 6 months, most has been released on independant, non-RIAA labels.  Maybe if the RIAA puts out some music that isn’t horrid, I might consider buying some…

Posted by Cameron Talley on October 10, 2005 at 1:41 PM (CDT)

Yes, all these moves by various recording industries are just plain stupid, but I say bring it on!  Bring out more lawsuits against your customers.  Lobby for even more draconian anti-copying laws.

In the end, it will only show the customer how messed up they are.  I think we’re getting close to the point where the average Joe will start to ask what’s going on with the RIAA.  For now, it still seems like the stupid masses will still listen to what the RIAA wants them to (ClearChannel radio stations, expensive CDs, etc). I can only hope that will change sooner rather than later.

More of this idiocy on the part of the RIAA, et al. will only help, in my opinion.

Posted by m.sherman on October 10, 2005 at 2:29 PM (CDT)

That’s pretty retarded, we already have to pay .99 for a song!! (I’m not complaining about that, just that I wouldn’t mind if iTunes dropped their prices.)

Posted by igobyzach on October 10, 2005 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

Wow!  This is worse than the Special Ed kids at my school.

Posted by SMDRIAA on October 10, 2005 at 7:34 PM (CDT)

They clearly haven’t learned from Canada’s example.  A levy had been charged here for the same reasons.  Ultimately, the money sat with the collections group and wasn’t distributed to the industry.  It was overtuned and now those of us who paid the levy on iPod purchases can apply for reimbursement from Apple.  History repeats itself.. just didn’t think it would be this soon.

Posted by Will on October 11, 2005 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

Ridiculous. If I to pay this tax I won’t buy another cd ever again.

Posted by babygirl on October 11, 2005 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

I’d be more inclined to blame it on the popularity of being a filthy sticky-fingered chav.  Fooking townies and hoodrats will steal anything that’s not nailed down.

Posted by phennphawcks on October 11, 2005 at 11:01 AM (CDT)