Mix: iPod Trademark, Hewlett-Packard, Creative, Microsoft | iLounge News

Mix: iPod Trademark, Hewlett-Packard, Creative, Microsoft

Apple has expanded its trademark for the iPod from “portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing text, data, and audio files” to “portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing text, data, audio, image, and video files.”

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said that Hewlett-Packard will likely stop bundling copies of iTunes on its desktops and laptops by the end of the year.

Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf said that while HP’s decision to stop reselling the iPod “should have little, if any, impact on iPod sales, the company missed a golden opportunity to build a material revenue stream at little expense. HP’s departure opens the door for Apple to expand the iPod’s distribution network even more rapidly than it has in the past.”

“Last year I declared war on Apple, but actually I was thinking of something bigger,’’ Creative Technology CEO Sim Wong Hoo recently said. “The war is in the living room. We are going after the living room.’’ Meanwhile, Microsoft said it isn’t looking to buy a stake in the Singapore consumer electronics company despite earlier speculation.

« NewerTech offers high-capacity battery for 1G/2G iPods

New iTatu designs announced »

Comments

thats life

Posted by Jonboy_sidewinder on August 2, 2005 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

Hmmm, video eh? I still wouldn’t buy one. I’d rather view video on my TV sitting on a couch rather than in my hand sitting on the bus.

Posted by Rene on August 2, 2005 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Posted by Puck in washington dc on August 2, 2005 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Some of the hidef small LCDs are excellent - much finer resolution and faster refresh than what’s currently available on the iPod.

There are a few promising developments in direct retinal image painting. This is where a tiny laser refreshes the image directly onto your eye. Same technology as DLP., Expect great things from this over the next couple of years!

Posted by Demosthenes on August 2, 2005 at 8:39 PM (CDT)

“The war is in the living room”

Creative, you wear that portable white flag VERY well, indeed.

As for the living room (media room, actually), I’ll stick with my current lineup of Mark Levinson, Naim, Denon, Rega, Martin Logan and Paradigm (among miscellaneous others), thank you very much. “Soundblaster” just doesn’t seem to fit in.

Posted by flatline response on August 2, 2005 at 11:52 PM (CDT)

Portable screens can be pretty good; for its size, my PSP is actually quite pleasant to watch movies on, even though I seriously doubt I’ll ever really get into owning much of a UMD movie library. Buying TWO copies of the same bloody movie in different format is too criminal for me.

Posted by flatline response on August 3, 2005 at 12:00 AM (CDT)

Haha flatline response, very well put.  And nice stereo gear as well.
Creative are a bunch of crack heads.  I remember buying the creative soundblaster card only to have the lamers abandon mac drivers for it.  Never again.

Posted by synergy on August 3, 2005 at 8:32 AM (CDT)