Mix: iSchool, Sony player, Apple speakers, Royalties | iLounge News

Mix: iSchool, Sony player, Apple speakers, Royalties

Facing declining numbers in classrooms, the Vacaville school district in California has resorted to giving away iPod shuffles and iTunes gift cards to students with perfect attendance.

Sony plans to take on the iPod once again. Takao Yuhara, senior vice president of Sony, said the company is developing a new music player and a companion download service that will be released later this year.

Hong Kong-based Brando Workshop is selling a novelty iPod speaker system that is designed to look like an actual red Apple. [via Gizmodo]

AP reports: “The rock bands Cheap Trick and The Allman Brothers are suing record giant Sony Music, claiming they are being shortchanged on royalties for songs downloaded legally over the Internet.”

« Free iPod Book 2.0 Contests - win Mac mini or Shure earphones

Koyono offers new iPod-ready gear for Spring/Summer »

Comments

I wish my school district did that. smile

Posted by MICHAE2414 on April 28, 2006 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

I would quite happily buy a Sony DAP, they are quite simply the best in battery life and overall quality.  The hardware department at Sony is probably the best of any these companies.  The NW-HD5 is still my favourite ever player (I was v close to buying one, but got another iPod instead).
BUT where they are continually let down is the software/licencing department. What the hell is SonicStage?!  You’d think Sony would be able to create a piece of software that doesn’t suck as badly as that.  I know for some people it works, but I’ve had nothing but trouble with it on both my laptop and PC.
And their decisions regarding DRM are basically unbelievable, if they stop treating their customers like thieves I might just might consider it.

Posted by Micky on April 29, 2006 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

I have never owned a Sony brand DAP, but I have gone into their stores and tested a few, and I can easily say that their DAPs have the BEST sound quality period.

Navigation is fairly easy, thought not as straight forward as the iPod, it is the second easiest to navigate PLUS their gadgets just look pretty damn SEXY!!!

They need to get their heads out of their ##### when it comes to their support of other, more common formats and they also need to realize that NOT EVERYONE WANTS/NEEDS to STEAL MUSIC!!!

The iPod, good as it may be, is NOT the best it could be. It would be nice if SOMEONE were to come up with a device that lights some fire under Apple’s ###!

Posted by ahMEmon on April 29, 2006 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

i agree with ahmemon; some one needs to make a device that takes some glory away from the iPod. As great as it is, the ipod has a LOT of room to improve, ie: scratching!!

Posted by QWER on April 29, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

i agree with the sonic stage part. I used to own a sony hi md player but about two weeks ago sonic stage took forver and my computer shut down. and this resulted in it breaking. they have the best compression rates. i konw on a one gig player you can easily fit 30 cds on it. but they’re expensive. so now i’m getting a 20 gig 4th gen ipod .

Posted by worldchamps9903 on April 29, 2006 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

I honestly think that Sony’s the only company out there who could put Apple and the iPod in it’s place.  Sure, other players have been released, some of which are pretty good.

But before there was Apple and the iPod, there was Sony and the Walkman…....

Posted by Huskerz85 on May 1, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

If Sony’s new player is as intuitive as the iPod and offers gapless playback and Mac support, I’ll switch in a heartbeat.

Posted by elob on May 1, 2006 at 11:39 AM (PDT)