Mix: iTunes Norway, Kroll, App Store Updates, Marware
Norway consumer advocate Bjoern Erik Thon is taking Apple to the country’s Market Council seeking to force Apple into adjusting its iTunes Store music offerings to ensure they play on digital players other than the iPod. Norway is leading the European campaign that began two years ago, claiming the DRM restrictions violate Norwegian law, and is backed by Finland, Denmark, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. “We discussed this at a meeting two weeks ago, and decided that Norway will do the test case,” Thon. “This could have international consequences.” The council has the ability under law to order companies to change their business practices, and can issue fines if they do not comply. In a meeting in February, Apple expressed its desire to drop DRM from music sold on its store, but has yet to make any further strides since that meeting. The company has until November 3 to respond to the council’s allegations.
First shown during Apple’s WWDC event in June, Digital Legends Entertainment’s Kroll game is now available on the App Store. A 3D adventure title, Kroll uses a mix of on-screen and accelerometer-based controls to let the user battle through nine different levels and environments. The game will also offer three difficulty levels, as well as a scoring system to keep track of progress. Kroll sells for $8.
Along with changing its review requirements, Apple has also changed the way updated applications are listed on the App Store. According to AppleInsider, apps are now sorted by their original release date, instead of by the date of their most recent update. The prior way of sorting resulted in older applications reappearing on the first pages of their categories, often pushing newer releases back in the listings prematurely.
Marware has introduced its new Sport Grip Extreme for the fourth-generation iPod nano. The Extreme is a form-fitting case made from dual-colored, antimicrobial silicone, and features open access to all ports and controls, textured sides for added grip, and an included screen protector and cleaning cloth. Marware’s Sport Grip Extreme for iPod nano 4G is now available for pre-order in black/red, white/gray, and pink/white, and sells for $20.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014