Mix: iTunes Norway, Kroll, App Store Updates, Marware
Norway consumer advocate Bjoern Erik Thon is taking Apple to the country’s Market Council seeking to force Apple into adjusting its iTunes Store music offerings to ensure they play on digital players other than the iPod. Norway is leading the European campaign that began two years ago, claiming the DRM restrictions violate Norwegian law, and is backed by Finland, Denmark, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. “We discussed this at a meeting two weeks ago, and decided that Norway will do the test case,” Thon. “This could have international consequences.” The council has the ability under law to order companies to change their business practices, and can issue fines if they do not comply. In a meeting in February, Apple expressed its desire to drop DRM from music sold on its store, but has yet to make any further strides since that meeting. The company has until November 3 to respond to the council’s allegations.
First shown during Apple’s WWDC event in June, Digital Legends Entertainment’s Kroll game is now available on the App Store. A 3D adventure title, Kroll uses a mix of on-screen and accelerometer-based controls to let the user battle through nine different levels and environments. The game will also offer three difficulty levels, as well as a scoring system to keep track of progress. Kroll sells for $8.
Along with changing its review requirements, Apple has also changed the way updated applications are listed on the App Store. According to AppleInsider, apps are now sorted by their original release date, instead of by the date of their most recent update. The prior way of sorting resulted in older applications reappearing on the first pages of their categories, often pushing newer releases back in the listings prematurely.
Marware has introduced its new Sport Grip Extreme for the fourth-generation iPod nano. The Extreme is a form-fitting case made from dual-colored, antimicrobial silicone, and features open access to all ports and controls, textured sides for added grip, and an included screen protector and cleaning cloth. Marware’s Sport Grip Extreme for iPod nano 4G is now available for pre-order in black/red, white/gray, and pink/white, and sells for $20.
- Mix: EU iPhone Preorders, In-Cell Patent, Jobs’ Home Theft
- Mix: iCloud suit, iTunes TOS, Airplane Crash, iPad at Saks
- Mix: Air Guitar, Infinite Loop, Tardis Case, Loop Nano
- Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
- Mix: Universal, iCloud icon, Apple retail, The Beatles
- Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts