Mix: iTunes Sampler, Billboard, Yahoo Music, iPod batteries | iLounge News

Mix: iTunes Sampler, Billboard, Yahoo Music, iPod batteries

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, February 11, 2005
News Categories:

Apple has released a second iTunes New Music Sampler album. The free 16-song compilation features music from Death Cab for Cutie, Simple Plan, Skindred, and more.

For the first time, Billboard magazine will begin to include songs sold by music download stores such as iTunes in its weekly calculation of the nation’s top hits.

Yahoo has renamed its “Launch” music site to “Yahoo Music” to showcase all its music products and services—streaming audio, music videos, Internet radio and music news—under a single brand.

Environmentalists are complaining about iPod battery waste because of “the sheer numbers of the devices being sold, and Apple’s reputation as a forward-thinking company.”

« New Forums: iPod Mods, Podcasts, iPods on Campus, More!

Apple announces two-for-one stock split »

Comments

Thanks for keeping us updated on these free iTunes samplers.  This ones not too shabby.

Posted by Sorcery5 on February 11, 2005 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

I can’t buy any songs from the iTunes sampler… it says “Song not available”

Is it no longer available or free?

Posted by greencoffeebean on February 11, 2005 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

A greener iPod? Perhaps the green iPod mini? It doesn’t get any greener that that.

But yeah, I don’t know a single person who has replaced their iPod battery, let alone dumps it in a field.

I love the environment and all, but I believe some of these environmentalists attack popular items such as iPods, because the news will travel quickly.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 11, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

they should get a life! ipod is not the only one that uses rechargeable batteries.

Posted by frankthetank on February 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Greencoffeebeans, you have to get the whole album. which is free

man, that one sucked. Its all emo and bad indie. I would have gotten that unwritten law track, but dude, simple plan is just terrible.

when are they going to have good things for free?

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on February 11, 2005 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

louis xiv is pretty hot. but the tracks won’t dl’d…

Posted by trav in north america on February 11, 2005 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

For the last time, YOU DO NOT THROW AWAY AN iPOD WHEN IT’S BATTERY DIES.

Sheesh.

Posted by minty on February 11, 2005 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

There are a LOT more cell phones out there being thrown away that have rechargeable batteries.  The tree-huggers just want to pick on the iPod because it’s popular.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on February 11, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Not that I agree with the environmentalists’ concern over the iPod, on ALL cellphones, you can replace/recycle the battery.

Posted by NeoteriX in Houston, TX or Westchester County, NY on February 11, 2005 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

You can’t get the sampler anywhere else but in the US which is rather pathetic but eh…

It really bugs me, these environmentalists trying to sound so perfect…

Iggy smile

Posted by TheIguana in Calgary, Alberta, Prarires, Canada, North America, on February 11, 2005 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

I have had an iPod for about 2 years. I just replaced the battery. If I had been using non-rechargable batteries, I would have filled a box with double As. I’m sure environmentally, that’s a LOT worse than one rechargable battery in 2 years.

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on February 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

Why the iPod?  Why not the MuVo?  Surely the dozens of alkaline batteries they go through have got to add up to more of a headache than a single lithium battery, right?  raspberry

Posted by SPThom on February 12, 2005 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

That’s right, before the iPod showed up nobody was throwing batteries in the trash, ever.

Posted by Freddie A in Seguin, TX on February 12, 2005 at 1:00 AM (PDT)

In the spirt of the late Duglas Adams about the iPod batteries.

The Landfill dosn’t know what’s going to hit it, but the Environmentalist Lobby DO KNOW! what’s eventualy going to hit it, and thy claim that thit this will cause everything from Earthquakes, **Tsunamis**, Hurricanes and other irreparalbe harm to the Atmosphere. All the usual thing that you Environmentalists usually go on about….

A represenitive of Apple Computers should met with these Environmentalists (say at Lunchtime!), and, have them all shot! So nothing now lies in my way of having a good time listioning to my Music!

Actualy now that I come to think about this these same ‘Represenitives’ should pay the French Legislature a visit too and repay there Nazi like EU CAP!!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 12, 2005 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

In principle I agree that computer parts should be easy to recycle but I do not think that Apple is guilty of anything with the iPod. Unlike all MP3 players before it, the iPod used a re-chargeable battery and even if it expires after three years (arguable), that is a lot less waste than any device that relies on AA batteries. Besides, iPod users are more likely to buy music online, reducing the number of CDs being sold.

Posted by Sol in Brisbane, Australia on February 12, 2005 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

Why not the MuVo? Surely the dozens of alkaline batteries they go through have got to add up to more of a headache than a single lithium battery

If you aren’t smart enough to get a set of NiMH rechargeables then you shouldn’t be allowed near portable electronic devices. I haven’t bought an alkaline battery in over 10 years! I think during that time I have bought two sets of NiMH.

Posted by Demosthenes on February 12, 2005 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Ok maybe shoting them would be to easy. Instead Apple could force a fate worse then death on ‘em by makeing them listion to Britney 24/7 till they stab Ice-Picks into there Ears!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 12, 2005 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

cant seem to get the iTunes Sampler downloaded. and this time around its a set of songs that are more of my style. than the previous one.

Posted by Donut in Texas on February 12, 2005 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

Yeah I use rechargeable AA NiMH batteries also for electronics, CD player.  (But I use my iPod most of the time.)It really saves money and I don’t have to worry about buying new ones, etc (helps the enviroment also).  The iPod is greener than say one-time use batteries but they should have some recycling programme.

Posted by ipodman715 on February 12, 2005 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

The sampler is better than the last one, what they need is a roadrunner label sampler.

As for the environmentalists, they tick me off.  I have one more year left then I will me a environmental engineer.  I completed two summer interships with the EPA and studied numerous water quality issues.  Not once has the issue of batteries come up.  They were once worried about laptop batteries but their consern went away.

Posted by kornchild2002 on February 13, 2005 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >