Mix: iTunes shows, Woz, NAND flash, Nano rip-off | iLounge News

Mix: iTunes shows, Woz, NAND flash, Nano rip-off

Apple has added episodes of “Project Runway” and “America’s Funniest Home Videos” to the iTunes Music Store.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says that iPods are distracting Apple from its focus on computing and should consider spinning off the business. “There’s a different group working on it anyway,

« Analysts speculate on Apple event: Movie downloads, iTablet?

Thomas Pink tailors iPod nano tie »

Comments

“Steve Wozniak says that iPods are distracting Apple from its focus on computing and the should consider spinning off the business.”

Steve Wozniak is apparently totally clueless as to why Apple created and started selling iPods in the first place. EVERYTHING Apple does leads back to one thing. Selling more Mac computers. Do I need to repeat this?

EVERYTHING Apple does. EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING is focused on what they can do to sell more Mac computers.

I fully believe if Steve Jobs felt he could sell a billion iPods and it didn’t cause even one more Mac to be sold he would stop building and selling iPods. Seriously.

Posted by Sabon on February 23, 2006 at 11:30 AM (CST)

I love that fake Nano. Apparently, in Hong Kong, 4 GB means 128 MB. I wonder what happens when you press menu, since there’s no screen?

Posted by Nobody on February 23, 2006 at 11:56 AM (CST)

Sabon, you’re dead wrong.  Most iPod users not only DON’T buy Macs, they WON’T buy Macs.  It’s gone way, way, WAY beyond selling more Macs now.

Jobs will NEVER give up the cash cow that is the iPod just to move another few thousand Macs.  That’s pure insanity and the board of directors would have him removed in a split second for such a stupid financial decision.

Posted by stark23x on February 23, 2006 at 12:26 PM (CST)

ridiculous - I never said such. The reporter was a jerk trying to get me to say such and I denied it and then said that, oh yes, it could make sense to run it as a separate division. Yes, it does make sense. I would never say something like Apple should spin it off because that implies Apple not running the iPod division.

Posted by Steve Wozniak on February 23, 2006 at 1:15 PM (CST)

Woz - every time I was interviewed for Navy Times they made me sound like Joe Navy (sounding like you love the Navy while you’re in it is much worse than being quoted as saying something silly in the tech world ok)

Posted by Jargon on February 23, 2006 at 1:38 PM (CST)

Because that’s obviously Steve Wozniak who just commented in the forum here, or maybe not so much.

Anyway if the iPod department was spun off Apple would lose a lot of the free press it gets by having the division.  I mean anytime anyone mentions the iPod they mention Apple.  It might not cause a huge upsurge in computer sales, but it helps as much as paying Hollywood tons of money to put Apple products in motion pictures which they did previously (and maybe still do I don’t know).

The fact is the iPod, even if it didn’t make Apple zillions of dollars, give good for the company by making the company seem stylish, cool and hip.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on February 23, 2006 at 2:55 PM (CST)

Woz - As an ethical member of the press, allow me to apologize on behalf of this would-be journalist. I’ll make sure he’s thoroughly flogged at the next convention. ;)

Reminds me of those critic’s quotes they run in the film ads where the guy actually says, “The saddest thing is, this was a project that had the potential to be a teriffic film, but in actuality you’d be a fool to see it,” but they quote him as, “This was a…teriffic film. ...You’d be a fool [not] to see it!”

Posted by Hrothgar on February 23, 2006 at 2:57 PM (CST)

i made the apple corporation sell the ipod so that i wouldn’t have to lug around a billion train sets every christmas.  ipods are so much lighter and more compact!

Posted by santa on February 23, 2006 at 4:29 PM (CST)

What’s up with all the impersonations—and then people believing (or at least pretending to believe) that it’s actually them!

Sorta has some similarity to that fake nano…

This site is beginning to confuse me. It feels like I’m commenting with a bunch of little kids.

Posted by Werewolf on February 23, 2006 at 4:36 PM (CST)

I saw that fake nano in Hong Kong about 3 weeks ago.

Assumed it wasn’t anything new as there were a lot of iPod fakes.

As far as I could tell (it was in a glass case), it was thicker.

And the screen may be larger but the whole fascia looked cheaper.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on February 23, 2006 at 6:30 PM (CST)

It actually was Steve Wozniak. Thanks to Woz and all of you for reading and commenting. :-)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on February 27, 2006 at 12:20 AM (CST)

When it was only the “traditional” media outlets in what now seems like ages ago (TV networks, daily newspapers), we had already often berated those information sources for their poor reporting and lack of integrity. The internet has only amplified the problems of an already questionable ‘profession’ because, or so it seems, everyone is some sort of a writer or reporter.

Woz: I can certainly feel your pain. I have a friend and former co-worker who is a part-time professional photographer who had his first gallery exhibition several years ago. One of the local Seattle art publications wanted to do a write-up on his show, and requested to use one specific image from the show for their publication and article. The writer/critic proceeded in fawning and stroking my friend’s ego to the point that there was no way he could refuse, which naturally he didn’t.

However, when the rag couriered over the advanced copy of the issue and revue to our office, the article was not about how great or must see his show was, but was instead a systematic slash-and-burn revue, using one of his showcase photographs as eye-candy while ripping him and his skills to shreds.  This critic knew full well that my friend was a newbie in the gallery scene, and consequently took full advantage of this fact to get his own self-serving agenda across.

As for myself, I’ve fortunately never been burned by writers with regards to any of my architectural designs (knock wood), but I have had these so-called local ‘critics’ call on me, wagging their tails for “exclusive” interviews and commentaries. I learned well from my former mentors about these cretins. And I’ve known enough beforehand about how many of these ‘writers’ are only interested in advocating their own political opinions and social agendas and are only looking for something juicy to pounce on, and I have seen too often how other architects have let their egos get the better of them and said things that only added fuel to the fire and damaged their own reputations in the public eye in the process.

Posted by flatline response on February 27, 2006 at 2:15 AM (CST)

Now don’t I feel like a goof, it was Woz.  Sorry Steve.  Now I know to believe everything I read.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on February 27, 2006 at 6:14 PM (CST)