Mix: iTunes videos, Inventec, iPhone, Podcasts
Apple may be up-sampling some QVGA videos on the iTunes Store to the new, larger 640x480 resolution instead of re-encoding from the original source. “You might be paying through the nose for a file that doubles the pixels and megabytes, but severely lessens the general quality of the picture,” reports Engadget.
Apple will reportedly use Inventec for the majority of its fifth-generation iPod orders rather than using both Inventec and Quanta Computer equally. In the fourth quarter, Inventec is scheduled to ship one million 5G iPods a month while Quanta is expected to ship 300,000-400,000 units a month.
The New York Times’ David Pogue thinks Apple will “probably never” come out with an iPhone. “The problem is that when you build a cellphone, the carriers (Verizon, Cingular, etc.) have veto power over EVERY move you make,” Pogue says. “You have to fight, wheedle, cajole, beg, demo, refine, lather, rinse, repeat…all in hopes that the carriers will accept your design–and stock your phone. I cannot imagine Apple giving veto power to ANYONE over its software design. It just ain’t gonna happen.”
Podcasts are being listened to on computers much more often than they are on iPods, according to research cited by Marketwatch. “More people are listening to podcasts on their PCs than ever, says Dave Van Dyke of Bridge Ratings, a speaker scheduled to appear at this weekend’s Portable Media and Podcast Expo. A year ago his research company had found 20% of podcasts were being heard on iPods or other MP3 players. ‘That number has gotten worse (for players),’ Van Dyke said in an interview.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today