Mix: Jack Johnson, Odeo, Walkman phone, Creative | iLounge News

Mix: Jack Johnson, Odeo, Walkman phone, Creative

The iTunes Music Store is offering a free digital booklet and exclusive track when you download Jack Johnson’s new album, “In Between Dreams.”

Odeo’s Evan Williams says his new company is not just about making a buck off podcasting. “Our focus is on humanizing a very promising technology. Making it easier for those already doing it (listening or creating),” he says.

Sony Ericsson’s new W800i Walkman phone sports MP3 playback, a 2 megapixel camera, 32MB of internal memory, 512MB Memory Stick Duo card, Bluetooth, and more.

In response to Apple’s announcement of a 6GB iPod mini and a cheaper 4GB iPod mini, Creative today lowered pricing on its Zen Micro line. The company’s players now start at $180.

« Windows: XPlay gets iPod shuffle support

Gel Shield for iPod shuffle announced »

Comments

I’ll admit, I was skeptical about ODEO wanting to get involved with the whole podcasting thing. I’m sure there were a ton of people like me who felt that they just wanted to cash in on the craze, but I’ll wait and see how the product is first before I discuss it any further.

Great news about the Zen micro. Now the prices reflect what the product was actually worth this entire time.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on March 1, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

i hope that the digital booklet will become standard with itunes purchases, just like the album cover.

the album cover doesn’t have any real value; you can download it from amazon.com, but a digital cd jacket has lyrics, pictures, etc that is more useful as a listener.

Posted by uicandrew on March 1, 2005 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

At least have the songs come with a little file that is readable on the iPod. While you’re listening to a song on your iPod, you can click the button a couple times and read liner notes, lyrics, pictures, etc. Of course, you can only download these if you purchase the entire album. That would be so awesome.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on March 1, 2005 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

if only the W800i would be available in the sates…thats a slick phone…kinda big, but has some awesome features and i cant wait to see phones in 2 years!

Posted by rivlinm in saint louis on March 1, 2005 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

oh what, new jack johnson, gotta get that album

Posted by Enigma on March 1, 2005 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

Hmm, I can afford the Micro now….

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on March 1, 2005 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

well I got the album… where is the digital booklet?

Posted by apple juice in USA on March 2, 2005 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

I think the people at Creative are smokin’ something.  If they haven’t realized by now that Apple’s customers DO NOT buy on price alone then they’re doomed for failure.  All it would take to squeeze out Creative is for Dell to get serious about it’s player, and then they will always be the lowest price.  Obviously Creative is trying to keep competitive pricing, but it doesn’t matter.  Creative for awhile now has offered More for Same, but it hasn’t been the blockbuster, or even approaching that, that Apple has had.

Posted by Gatsby003 in New York on March 2, 2005 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

Apple Juice,

I got the album yesterday and it downloaded just like it does with a song.  It is a .pdf file that shows up at the top of the song list, only it doesn’t have a time or anything.

You may have figured this out already.  What’d you think of the album?
-dj

Posted by djfeld01 on March 2, 2005 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

I’m sure I missed it the first time, but does anybody have the link to which Williams is referring?
-dj

Posted by djfeld01 on March 2, 2005 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

Gatsby003,

a lot of people buy products just because of pricing, I bought a Ipod at the price $150 (for a used 15GB 3G.) I would agree that Ipod is a very nice product and, some people would only buy a Ipod just because it’s apple or for the style or interface, but I believe the creative micro is also nice. A lot of times the best why to get people to even look at your product is price. Sure the Zen line does not have Itunes or the ITMS, but I don’t even use the 2 services, I use MP3 and use a 3rd party program to transfer the data. So as for functionality the ipod and the Zen would be the same for me, and I think would be the same for a lot of others as well…

Posted by Zardoz in Austin TX on March 2, 2005 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

I guess I should clarify.  I don’t think that the majority of people are choosing on price ALONE.  Sure, when people bought their iPods, price was in the equation, but there were other factors.  For some it was iTMS, or iTunes, or that they had a Mac, or that they wanted to be cool, or they liked the design.  If these people bought on price alone, then Dell would be the hottest selling player out there.

Posted by Gatsby003 in New York on March 2, 2005 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Wow, i want that phone. Was going to get a K700i, but now this…hmmm.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on March 2, 2005 at 1:06 PM (PDT)