Mix: Japan market, Wired, Lufthansa, iPad X-ray
The iPhone’s market share in Japan has more than doubled in the past year to 72 percent, according to Tokyo-based research firm MM Research Institute. BusinessWeek reports that MM Research estimates shipments of the iPhone climbed to 1.69 million units in the year ending March 31, bringing the total sold since 2008 to 2.3 million. “Last year was just the beginning of the smartphone competition, which is why Apple did so well,” said Calvin Huang with Daiwa Securities Group Inc. in Taipei. “This year will be much more competitive.”
According to stats released by Wired, the iPad now accounts for 26 percent of the site’s traffic from mobile devices. The report states that the rise in iPad usage was matched by a declining share of iPhone and iPod touch usage, suggesting that iPad users were simply “trading up” from a smaller Apple mobile device. Overall, mobile devices account for 2.3 to 3.5 percent of the site’s traffic, with the iPad accounting for 0.91 percent on its own.
German airline Lufthansa has posted an open letter to the Apple engineer who lost a fourth-generation iPhone prototype—later pictured online—at a German beer garden in California, offering him a free flight to Germany. The letter acknowledges how “frustrating” it can be to loose personal belongings, and that the company noticed his interest in German beer. In offering the flight to Munich, the company suggested he visit Lufthansa’s new Bavarian Beer Garden Business Lounge, and “experience the best that Germany has to offer.”
A doctor living in Japan has x-rayed his newly-acquired iPad and posted the resulting image online (Translated Link). While the view of the x-rayed iPad isn’t greatly different from previous teardown images posted by the FCC, it does allow one to see the entirety of the device’s components in their proper positions at once, and once again makes clear just how prominent a role the battery plays in the iPad’s internal design.
- Report: iPad Pro to be official name of large iPad, more details revealed
- Mozilla begins rollout of Firefox for iOS preview
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Divoom AuraBox Bluetooth Speaker
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?