Mix: Japan market, Wired, Lufthansa, iPad X-ray
The iPhone’s market share in Japan has more than doubled in the past year to 72 percent, according to Tokyo-based research firm MM Research Institute. BusinessWeek reports that MM Research estimates shipments of the iPhone climbed to 1.69 million units in the year ending March 31, bringing the total sold since 2008 to 2.3 million. “Last year was just the beginning of the smartphone competition, which is why Apple did so well,” said Calvin Huang with Daiwa Securities Group Inc. in Taipei. “This year will be much more competitive.”
According to stats released by Wired, the iPad now accounts for 26 percent of the site’s traffic from mobile devices. The report states that the rise in iPad usage was matched by a declining share of iPhone and iPod touch usage, suggesting that iPad users were simply “trading up” from a smaller Apple mobile device. Overall, mobile devices account for 2.3 to 3.5 percent of the site’s traffic, with the iPad accounting for 0.91 percent on its own.
German airline Lufthansa has posted an open letter to the Apple engineer who lost a fourth-generation iPhone prototype—later pictured online—at a German beer garden in California, offering him a free flight to Germany. The letter acknowledges how “frustrating” it can be to loose personal belongings, and that the company noticed his interest in German beer. In offering the flight to Munich, the company suggested he visit Lufthansa’s new Bavarian Beer Garden Business Lounge, and “experience the best that Germany has to offer.”
A doctor living in Japan has x-rayed his newly-acquired iPad and posted the resulting image online (Translated Link). While the view of the x-rayed iPad isn’t greatly different from previous teardown images posted by the FCC, it does allow one to see the entirety of the device’s components in their proper positions at once, and once again makes clear just how prominent a role the battery plays in the iPad’s internal design.
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?