Mix: Joost, Linux, FormSpring Pro, Wallet
Streaming video service Joost has released its new official application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application streams video directly to the devices over Wi-Fi, and offers users the ability to browse by category, see “Most Popular” and “Our Picks” listings, and search for specific videos. Similar to joost.com, the Joost application is ad-supported, and is now available as a free download from the App Store.
The iPhone Dev Team, known for its efforts towards iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking, has announced that one of its members, planetbeing, has reverse engineered Apple’s hardware drivers, and has released a bare-bones version of Linux that runs on the iPhone and first-generation iPod touch. The release lacks support for the NAND memory, wireless networking, touchscreen, sound, and more, and is more of a proof-of-concept release than a viable alternative to the iPhone OS.
Online form service FormSpring has announced the release of its FormSpring Pro app for the iPhone and iPod touch. The new application allows users to view and collect data, search data, build complex searches and save them for repeated use, upload images from the iPhone’s camera, upload audio using a microphone, and tag form submissions with GPS coordinates. FormSpring Pro requires a FormSpring API key and is available now from the App Store for $10.
Acrylic Software has announced the release of its Wallet application for iPhone and iPod touch. Wallet is a database application for storing and organizing personal information such as serial numbers, web passwords, credit card numbers, and more. Features include 256-bit AES encryption, the ability to create, edit, and remove both groups and entries, searching, and wireless syncing with the Mac OS X version either using MobileMe or via local Wi-Fi. Wallet for iPhone and iPod touch is available now from the App Store and sells for $4.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch