Mix: Joost, Linux, FormSpring Pro, Wallet
Streaming video service Joost has released its new official application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application streams video directly to the devices over Wi-Fi, and offers users the ability to browse by category, see “Most Popular” and “Our Picks” listings, and search for specific videos. Similar to joost.com, the Joost application is ad-supported, and is now available as a free download from the App Store.
The iPhone Dev Team, known for its efforts towards iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking, has announced that one of its members, planetbeing, has reverse engineered Apple’s hardware drivers, and has released a bare-bones version of Linux that runs on the iPhone and first-generation iPod touch. The release lacks support for the NAND memory, wireless networking, touchscreen, sound, and more, and is more of a proof-of-concept release than a viable alternative to the iPhone OS.
Online form service FormSpring has announced the release of its FormSpring Pro app for the iPhone and iPod touch. The new application allows users to view and collect data, search data, build complex searches and save them for repeated use, upload images from the iPhone’s camera, upload audio using a microphone, and tag form submissions with GPS coordinates. FormSpring Pro requires a FormSpring API key and is available now from the App Store for $10.
Acrylic Software has announced the release of its Wallet application for iPhone and iPod touch. Wallet is a database application for storing and organizing personal information such as serial numbers, web passwords, credit card numbers, and more. Features include 256-bit AES encryption, the ability to create, edit, and remove both groups and entries, searching, and wireless syncing with the Mac OS X version either using MobileMe or via local Wi-Fi. Wallet for iPhone and iPod touch is available now from the App Store and sells for $4.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?