Mix: Life2Go, Keane, Unique Whips, iSubscription | iLounge News

Mix: Life2Go, Keane, Unique Whips, iSubscription

Kainjow has changed the name of its Pod2Go software to Life2Go. The program, available for Mac and Windows, lets you load your iPod with news, weather forecasts, movie showtimes, stock quotes, driving directions, horoscopes, lyrics, gas prices, and more.

Contact Music reports: “British rockers Keane are devastated their chances of getting to number one in the album charts later this month have been jeopardized by an iTunes blunder. The band’s second album may not reach the top spot because the online music store accidentally put ‘Under the Iron Sea’ on sale on their Belgium site last Tuesday, May 30—two weeks ahead of the official release.”

The first two seasons of SPEED’s “Unique Whips” is now available from the iTunes Music Store. The show features “Will Castro and his crew at Long Island’s Unique Autosports, as they retune, restyle and re-create luxury and exotic cars for America’s top entertainers and athletes, designing personalized pieces of automotive art unlike anything seen before.”

CNET’s James Kim thinks Apple will soon offer a subscription music service: “Going against conventional wisdom, I think Apple will soon introduce a subscription-based music and video service… as competition from the likes of WMP 11 and Urge heats—or, rather, warms—up, I believe Apple may shock us with its own bulletproof version of an all-you-can eat iTunes club. And consumers will lick it up.”

« Blog the Book to win a $1075 Geneva iPod sound system

Blog the Book XL Contest - Winners Announced »

Comments

Keane = Irish

Posted by KBrew on June 6, 2006 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

I’d jump on the iTunes subscription if the quality is at least 160kbps.

I’ve been getting my music from subscription services for ages, and just using Tunebite or SoundTaxi to get them on my iPod.. it’d be great not to have to jump through that extra step.

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on June 6, 2006 at 6:49 PM (CDT)

“Keane = Irish”

Um, no…. they’re British.

Posted by electro on June 6, 2006 at 9:35 PM (CDT)

Re: Subscription

If Jobs really does want to lock up the digital music market, a *good* subscription plan is really all he needs.

Bump the quality up to 192kbps, set the price somewhere between $9.99 to $14.99 month (cheaper is more attractive obviously) and offer annual sub discounts like Yahoo does.

At that point he will have effectively castrated the only things competing services have over iTunes. He already has the superior market share, all he needs is superior service across the board.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 7, 2006 at 8:55 AM (CDT)

My “subscription service” is XM radio.  I use iTunes to buy the songs that I like on XM, and once I have bought them, their mine forever.

Posted by Chris on June 7, 2006 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

In my comment above, of course I meant “they’re,” not “their.”

I was in a hurry.  Sorry, I’m not that much of an idiot :(

Posted by Chris on June 7, 2006 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

You can look at sub services however you want, but the monetary bottom line is that you’re fooling yourself if you think they’re anything other than a good deal for people who listen to a lot of music.

If I could magically go back in time to my late teens and acquire all my music legally from a sub plan I would still have to live into my late 90s before it would have been cheaper to buy it, and that’s just what I have *now*.

Bottom line is the “when you stop paying” is a cop out because just like internet, electricity and food, you never will stop paying it because it’s far cheaper than any alternative.

Besides, it’s all pretty much irrelevant to the question of whether Apple should have a sub plan. For those who buying a la carte is a better deal, it will still be there.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

@ Chris
“I look at subscription services like I look at renting an apartment: nice and convenient, but when you stop paying the money, what do you have left?  Nothing, just an empty wallet and no music.

My ‘subscription service’ is XM radio.  I use iTunes to buy the songs that I like on XM, and once I have bought them, their mine forever.”

Dude, you are lecturing about how subscription services waste money while paying for radio.  RADIO!!!

Anyways, iHope Apple does get into the subscribtion business.  That, and open up iTunes to other players so that we wouldn’t have to jump through hoops to get the music we pay for to all the devices we own.

Posted by Chahk on June 7, 2006 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

Code Monkey:
“You will never stop paying…”  I often go months without buying a song on iTunes.  I wouldn’t want to pay $12/mo just to maintain access to music I could’ve already bought for $1.

Chahk:
XM radio is a remarkably good deal, IMO.  For $70/yr (prepay, plus we have 3-4 radios on one account), I get both service in my car and streaming music on any computer I happen to be at.  I love my iPod, but in the car where I do 90% of my listening, I find it much more fiddly and less convenient than XM, since I constantly have to scroll or look at the iPod, instead of just hitting the preset buttons on the XM.  Furthermore, the iPod doesn’t help me find NEW music to the extent the XM does; the depth of XM’s catalog and the fact that it is played to you, rather than you hunting it down on iTunes, makes it more convenient for me.

If I had to chose in my car to hardwire the XM or the iPod, rather than the custom switch I had installed, I would have gone with the XM.

Posted by Chris on June 7, 2006 at 11:45 PM (CDT)

“I wouldn’t want to pay $12/mo just to maintain access to music I could’ve already bought for $1.

...

XM radio is a remarkably good deal, IMO. For $70/yr”

Well, there’s your problem, you’re mathematically challenged ;)

I pay $60/year for my Yahoo Music and through Tunebite get access to it everywhere without any fancy hardware or switches.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 8, 2006 at 12:10 PM (CDT)

“the iPod doesn’t help me find NEW music to the extent the XM does”

But the subscribtion services do a much better job of helping you discover new music than satellite radio.  And for less, as Code Monkey noted.  With radio (be it good old FM or satellite) you only get to hear what the DJ plays.  With a sub, you get a much broader selection at your fingertips, all available on demand.

In terms of car integration, there are plenty of solutions for iPod, most of them much cheaper than their XM counterparts.

It just seems that a subscribtion model is a much better deal here.  Besides, it’s not like Apple would totally convert to the new model, buying songs you *really* like off iTunes will still be a viable option.

Posted by Chahk on June 8, 2006 at 12:50 PM (CDT)