Mix: Magellan, WWDC 2010, SNL, Tapulous
Magellan has revealed further details of its upcoming Premium Car Kit. The adjustable, rotating car mount is compatible with most skins and cases, and features Bluetooth for hands-free calling, a noise canceling microphone, a built-in GPS receiver for greater accuracy, an auxiliary audio output, the ability to recharge the connected device, and compatibility with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and second- and third-generation iPod touch units. The Magellan Premium Car Kit is available for pre-order now and will sell for $130.
A new listing on the Moscone Center events calendar may reveal Apple’s planned dates for its 2010 Worldwide Developers Conference. Currently, the calendar shows a listing for a “Corporate Event” on June 28 - July 2; AppleInsider notes that previous Apple events have been reserved using the same title. If so, the dates would overlap with the three-year anniversary of the original iPhone’s launch on June 29, 2007. Apple has used its WWDC event to announce new iPhone hardware the last two years, revealing the iPhone 3G in 2008 and the iPhone 3GS earlier this year.
The iPhone was the subject of ridicule during a skit from this past weekend’s episode of Saturday Night Live. Discussing reports from last week that Google may be preparing a self-branded Android phone to further challenge the iPhone, Seth Meyers, during the show’s Weekend Update skit, said, “Also a challenge to the iPhone: making phone calls.” The joke was met with laughter from the crowd; SNLis filmed in New York City, which has often been cited as having problematic iPhone coverage. A clip of the joke appears in embedded form below.
Update: The clip has been pulled from YouTube due to a copyright claim from NBC Universal.
Tapulous, makers of the Tap Tap series of iPhone and iPod touch games, has revealed that its sales have approached $1 million a month. While declining to reveal precise sales data, Tapulous’ CEO, Bart Decrem, believes that the company is well positioned to take advantage of what he believes will be strong growth in mobile app commerce over the next two years. “It’s going to be big and all of a sudden people are going to say, ‘holy cow, where did those guys come from?’” Decrem told Reuters. Overall, the company said its games have now been downloaded over 20 million times, with more than 600 million games played.
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?