Mix: Magellan, WWDC 2010, SNL, Tapulous
Published: Monday, December 21, 2009
Magellan has revealed further details of its upcoming Premium Car Kit. The adjustable, rotating car mount is compatible with most skins and cases, and features Bluetooth for hands-free calling, a noise canceling microphone, a built-in GPS receiver for greater accuracy, an auxiliary audio output, the ability to recharge the connected device, and compatibility with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and second- and third-generation iPod touch units. The Magellan Premium Car Kit is available for pre-order now and will sell for $130.
A new listing on the Moscone Center events calendar may reveal Apple’s planned dates for its 2010 Worldwide Developers Conference. Currently, the calendar shows a listing for a “Corporate Event” on June 28 - July 2; AppleInsider notes that previous Apple events have been reserved using the same title. If so, the dates would overlap with the three-year anniversary of the original iPhone’s launch on June 29, 2007. Apple has used its WWDC event to announce new iPhone hardware the last two years, revealing the iPhone 3G in 2008 and the iPhone 3GS earlier this year.
The iPhone was the subject of ridicule during a skit from this past weekend’s episode of Saturday Night Live. Discussing reports from last week that Google may be preparing a self-branded Android phone to further challenge the iPhone, Seth Meyers, during the show’s Weekend Update skit, said, “Also a challenge to the iPhone: making phone calls.” The joke was met with laughter from the crowd; SNLis filmed in New York City, which has often been cited as having problematic iPhone coverage. A clip of the joke appears in embedded form below.
Update: The clip has been pulled from YouTube due to a copyright claim from NBC Universal.
Tapulous, makers of the Tap Tap series of iPhone and iPod touch games, has revealed that its sales have approached $1 million a month. While declining to reveal precise sales data, Tapulous’ CEO, Bart Decrem, believes that the company is well positioned to take advantage of what he believes will be strong growth in mobile app commerce over the next two years. “It’s going to be big and all of a sudden people are going to say, ‘holy cow, where did those guys come from?’” Decrem told Reuters. Overall, the company said its games have now been downloaded over 20 million times, with more than 600 million games played.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Prong debuts Prong PWR Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2014 earnings call
- Apple announces 7:1 stock split, increased share buyback, dividends
- Apple Q2 2014: 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads, 2.7M iPods
- Former employee says Apple left iOS users vulnerable
- Siri coming to Apple TV?
- Google covering some Samsung defense costs in Apple case
- Changes introduced to Apple’s app content rating system
- iOS 7.1.1 makes in-app purchases clear in Top Grossing chart
- Apple releases iOS 7.1.1
- Divoom Voombox Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Pelican ProGear Voyager for iPhone 5/5s
- ZeroChroma Vario-Edge for iPhone 5/5c/5s + Vortex for iPhone 5c
- JBL Synchros S300i Stereo Headphones
- AKG K845BT Over-Ear Bluetooth Headset
- JBL Voyager Home Audio System With Portable Wireless Speaker
- Harman Kardon Esquire Executive Portable Wireless Speaker
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac