Mix: MailWrangler, iPhone 3G & data plans, AT&T admits 3G overloading, iStyles nano 4G
iPhone developer Angelo DiNardi has revealed that his iPhone application, MailWrangler, has been rejected by Apple due to duplicated functionality. In a message from Apple, the company said that MailWrangler, which uses the iPhone OS’ built-in WebKit view to allow users to check multiple Gmail accounts without having to sign in/out multiple times, “duplicates the functionality of the built-in iPhone application Mail without providing sufficient differentiation or added functionality, which will lead to user confusion.”
AT&T has begun contacting iPhone 3G users subscribed to a non-iPhone data plan encouraging them to contact the carrier and switch over to the $30 a month iPhone 3G data plan. According to the report, AT&T has sent out emails stating, “Our service records indicate that you are using an iPhone 3G with a data plan designed for other devices. To avoid unexpected data overage charges and enable Visual Voicemail, please contact your telecom manager, or an AT&T representative at 1-800-331-0500.” It is unclear whether AT&T will employ more aggressive measures in the future to get customers to switch to the official data plan.
Speaking at the recent Goldman Sachs technology conference, AT&T chief technology officer John Donovan admitted the carrier had been unprepared for the success of the iPhone 3G in the U.S. Donovan said that demand for 3G services in some areas, including those around universities that bought iPhones and developed applications for students, exceeded expectations by such a degree that the company was forced to add capacity to keep up with demand.
iStyles has introduced its new Skins for the fourth-generation iPod nano. Skins feature high-resolution full-color designs printed on premium grade adhesive-backed cast vinyl with UV resistant inks and then covered with a clear protective layer for added durability. The Skins use a patented repositionable and removable adhesive backing, and include a dock connector cap with matching sticker. iStyles’ Skins for iPod nano 4G are available now and sell for $7 each.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?