Mix: Memorial Day, Eucalyptus, Cartier, IP infringement
As it is Memorial Day in the United States, iLounge will be on a limited publishing schedule today, May 25, 2009. Our Discussion Forums are hopping right now with iPod and iPhone Q&As and much more, so if you haven’t visited before, today would be a great chance to do so.
After initially rejecting the Eucalyptus e-book reader application last week, Apple contacted the developer on Sunday asking to have the app resubmitted for approval. Following its resubmission, Eucalytpus was quickly approved and is available for sale in the App Store for $10.
On Friday, Cartier International filed a lawsuit against Apple claiming that two applications available on the App Store infringed on the trademark for their Tank watches. The lawsuit was withdrawn a few hours later after the applications in question had been removed from the App Store and Cartier acknowledged that its concerns had been addressed. [via Reuters]
Another example of intellectual property infringement has appeared on the App Store recently, however, in the form of a game titled Luigi vs. Pac (iTunes Link), a pong-style game that pits Pac-Man against Mario, borrowing themes and graphics generously from both the Pac-Man and Mario Bros series of games. It remains unclear how or why Apple continues to approve titles that obviously infringe on well-known brands, including ones from its partner developers such as Namco; a lack of proper app reviewer training or clear infringement standards appear to be to blame. [via Cult of Mac]
- Report: iPad Pro to be official name of large iPad, more details revealed
- Mozilla begins rollout of Firefox for iOS preview
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Divoom AuraBox Bluetooth Speaker
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?