Mix: More RED, iPod tutorials, Sony Walkman, Music sales | iLounge News

Mix: More RED, iPod tutorials, Sony Walkman, Music sales

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 13, 2006
News Categories:

In addition to the special edition red iPod nano, Gap, Motorola, Converse, and Giorgio Armani also rolled out red products to help benefit the (PRODUCT) RED initiative.

Apple has posted a number of new iPod video tutorials on its support website. The company has also created a podcast so folks can subscribe and get future updates.

Sony has introduced new Flash-based Walkman digital music players featuring built-in noise-cancellation technology. The company also said that it is developing a video-capable Walkman to compete with Apple’s high-end iPod.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) reports: “Sales of digital music in the first half of 2006 rose 106% to US$945 million when compared with the first six months of last year. Globally, digital sales now account for 11 percent of the total recorded music market worldwide, up from 5.5 percent in December 2005.”

« iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED in stores now

Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card »

Comments

After taking one of Sony’s devices for a test spin, I for one will never doubt Sony claim of superior audio in comparison to Apple’s iPod…

BUT

Sorry to say Sony, you were too late to the game and dug your OWN grave by originally EXCLUDING the ubiquitous mp3 format. I know the latest walkmen(?) can use mp3s but it’s just a case of too little too late.

Posted by ahMEmon on October 13, 2006 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Allstar, I would etimate that I last bought an audio compact disc about 15 minutes ago.

Posted by kurt vonnegut on October 13, 2006 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

I constantly see references to buying music online but I still buy physical CDs far more often. You can’t discount CD purchases. I’m a collector, so the physical media has an importance to me that far outweighs the cost and space that they take up. I just can’t buy an album from iTunes that I know has been released as a digipak, has a bonus DVD, etc. It’s a combination of the physical media being important and the quality of the audio and video.

Posted by Japester on October 13, 2006 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

Kurt, Allister said an ANALOGUE CD instead of a digital CD, it was a joke.
Since CDs are digital music too, saying digital sales now account for 11% isn’t really accurate, even if everyone knows what it means.
And I’m still only buying CDs (on the internet though), it’s worth the extra euro or two that it costs, for the extra stuff you get.

Posted by Steven on October 15, 2006 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

Thanks Steven, I didn’t catch that at all. I feel like an @$$ now.

Posted by kurt vonnegut on October 15, 2006 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

$170 for a 1 gig flash MP3 player??  Gees sony no wonder you lost, and you think by offering it at the price you’re gonna win?

Posted by MatrixSJD on October 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

One thing the Sony article didn’t mention is that the new Sony’s will also play AAC files (but not DRM’ed AAC from Itunes). Not sure if that is common with other non-Apple units, but a good move.

(I suspect the $170 is inaccuate - Sony’s current 1G models are about $90, and the noise cancellation capability probably won’t be that much of a premium)

It’s easy to knock Sony, but they’ve had some very attractive looking players recently.

Posted by Brian on October 15, 2006 at 7:37 PM (PDT)