Mix: MotoChaser video, Bose settlement, Dr Awesome, ComiXology
Following the discovery of an undocumented iPhone API which allows for the output of video through a Dock Connector-based video cable, Freeverse has created a demo version of its MotoChaser game that runs and displays on a TV. According to Freeverse Producer Bruce Morrison, who found the game ran best on the iPod touch 2G thanks to its faster processor, the game runs at 20 fps (frames per second) through video-out, compared to 26 fps on the device itself, and is “nearly playable,” despite only three hours of development time. A video of the demo in action is available on YouTube. As the API in question is currently unpublished and puts heavy demands on the device’s processing capabilities, it is unclear when or if Apple will make the feature available for use in App Store-approved games.
Bose has announced that it has settled its litigation against Phitek Corporation relating to headphone technology. Bose’s complaint claimed that Phitek manufactured headphones for Audio-Technica and Creative Labs that infringe on Bose patents relating to active noise-reducing headphone technology found in the company’s QuietComfort headphones. As part of the settlement, Phitek has agreed to make changes to its headphones to ensure that they don’t infringe on Bose’s patents.
Ngmoco has announced the release of its Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. game for the iPhone and iPod touch. In the game, players perform microsurgery to isolate and eradicate mutagens that have infected their friends, personalized from the user’s iPhone and iPod touch contacts. Using an accelerometer-guided micro scalpel, players must cut and trap the offending viruses, avoid disruptive virus counter attacks and collect various power-ups to succeed in saving their friends. In addition, an in-game auto-save feature allows players to resume surgeries where they left off. Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. is available now from the App Store and sells for $2.
Comic book website Comixology has announced the release of its new comiXology application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app allows users to browse all shipping comics from labels such as Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, and many independents, review descriptions and covers for this week, last week and next week, preview pages from many comics each week, “Pull” comic books (free comiXology.com account required), read comiXology articles, discover new comics by checking out comics pulled by other people, and more. ComiXology is available now from the App Store and sells for $5; the app is being sold for $4 during its first week of release.
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?