Mix: MotoChaser video, Bose settlement, Dr Awesome, ComiXology
Following the discovery of an undocumented iPhone API which allows for the output of video through a Dock Connector-based video cable, Freeverse has created a demo version of its MotoChaser game that runs and displays on a TV. According to Freeverse Producer Bruce Morrison, who found the game ran best on the iPod touch 2G thanks to its faster processor, the game runs at 20 fps (frames per second) through video-out, compared to 26 fps on the device itself, and is “nearly playable,” despite only three hours of development time. A video of the demo in action is available on YouTube. As the API in question is currently unpublished and puts heavy demands on the device’s processing capabilities, it is unclear when or if Apple will make the feature available for use in App Store-approved games.
Bose has announced that it has settled its litigation against Phitek Corporation relating to headphone technology. Bose’s complaint claimed that Phitek manufactured headphones for Audio-Technica and Creative Labs that infringe on Bose patents relating to active noise-reducing headphone technology found in the company’s QuietComfort headphones. As part of the settlement, Phitek has agreed to make changes to its headphones to ensure that they don’t infringe on Bose’s patents.
Ngmoco has announced the release of its Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. game for the iPhone and iPod touch. In the game, players perform microsurgery to isolate and eradicate mutagens that have infected their friends, personalized from the user’s iPhone and iPod touch contacts. Using an accelerometer-guided micro scalpel, players must cut and trap the offending viruses, avoid disruptive virus counter attacks and collect various power-ups to succeed in saving their friends. In addition, an in-game auto-save feature allows players to resume surgeries where they left off. Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. is available now from the App Store and sells for $2.
Comic book website Comixology has announced the release of its new comiXology application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app allows users to browse all shipping comics from labels such as Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, and many independents, review descriptions and covers for this week, last week and next week, preview pages from many comics each week, “Pull” comic books (free comiXology.com account required), read comiXology articles, discover new comics by checking out comics pulled by other people, and more. ComiXology is available now from the App Store and sells for $5; the app is being sold for $4 during its first week of release.
- Mix: EU iPhone Preorders, In-Cell Patent, Jobs’ Home Theft
- Mix: iCloud suit, iTunes TOS, Airplane Crash, iPad at Saks
- Mix: Air Guitar, Infinite Loop, Tardis Case, Loop Nano
- Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
- Mix: Universal, iCloud icon, Apple retail, The Beatles
- Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts