Mix: MotoChaser video, Bose settlement, Dr Awesome, ComiXology
Following the discovery of an undocumented iPhone API which allows for the output of video through a Dock Connector-based video cable, Freeverse has created a demo version of its MotoChaser game that runs and displays on a TV. According to Freeverse Producer Bruce Morrison, who found the game ran best on the iPod touch 2G thanks to its faster processor, the game runs at 20 fps (frames per second) through video-out, compared to 26 fps on the device itself, and is “nearly playable,” despite only three hours of development time. A video of the demo in action is available on YouTube. As the API in question is currently unpublished and puts heavy demands on the device’s processing capabilities, it is unclear when or if Apple will make the feature available for use in App Store-approved games.
Bose has announced that it has settled its litigation against Phitek Corporation relating to headphone technology. Bose’s complaint claimed that Phitek manufactured headphones for Audio-Technica and Creative Labs that infringe on Bose patents relating to active noise-reducing headphone technology found in the company’s QuietComfort headphones. As part of the settlement, Phitek has agreed to make changes to its headphones to ensure that they don’t infringe on Bose’s patents.
Ngmoco has announced the release of its Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. game for the iPhone and iPod touch. In the game, players perform microsurgery to isolate and eradicate mutagens that have infected their friends, personalized from the user’s iPhone and iPod touch contacts. Using an accelerometer-guided micro scalpel, players must cut and trap the offending viruses, avoid disruptive virus counter attacks and collect various power-ups to succeed in saving their friends. In addition, an in-game auto-save feature allows players to resume surgeries where they left off. Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. is available now from the App Store and sells for $2.
Comic book website Comixology has announced the release of its new comiXology application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app allows users to browse all shipping comics from labels such as Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, and many independents, review descriptions and covers for this week, last week and next week, preview pages from many comics each week, “Pull” comic books (free comiXology.com account required), read comiXology articles, discover new comics by checking out comics pulled by other people, and more. ComiXology is available now from the App Store and sells for $5; the app is being sold for $4 during its first week of release.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?