Mix: MotoChaser video, Bose settlement, Dr Awesome, ComiXology
Following the discovery of an undocumented iPhone API which allows for the output of video through a Dock Connector-based video cable, Freeverse has created a demo version of its MotoChaser game that runs and displays on a TV. According to Freeverse Producer Bruce Morrison, who found the game ran best on the iPod touch 2G thanks to its faster processor, the game runs at 20 fps (frames per second) through video-out, compared to 26 fps on the device itself, and is “nearly playable,” despite only three hours of development time. A video of the demo in action is available on YouTube. As the API in question is currently unpublished and puts heavy demands on the device’s processing capabilities, it is unclear when or if Apple will make the feature available for use in App Store-approved games.
Bose has announced that it has settled its litigation against Phitek Corporation relating to headphone technology. Bose’s complaint claimed that Phitek manufactured headphones for Audio-Technica and Creative Labs that infringe on Bose patents relating to active noise-reducing headphone technology found in the company’s QuietComfort headphones. As part of the settlement, Phitek has agreed to make changes to its headphones to ensure that they don’t infringe on Bose’s patents.
Ngmoco has announced the release of its Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. game for the iPhone and iPod touch. In the game, players perform microsurgery to isolate and eradicate mutagens that have infected their friends, personalized from the user’s iPhone and iPod touch contacts. Using an accelerometer-guided micro scalpel, players must cut and trap the offending viruses, avoid disruptive virus counter attacks and collect various power-ups to succeed in saving their friends. In addition, an in-game auto-save feature allows players to resume surgeries where they left off. Dr. Awesome, MicroSurgeon M.D. is available now from the App Store and sells for $2.
Comic book website Comixology has announced the release of its new comiXology application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app allows users to browse all shipping comics from labels such as Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, IDW, and many independents, review descriptions and covers for this week, last week and next week, preview pages from many comics each week, “Pull” comic books (free comiXology.com account required), read comiXology articles, discover new comics by checking out comics pulled by other people, and more. ComiXology is available now from the App Store and sells for $5; the app is being sold for $4 during its first week of release.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks