Mix: Music sales, NAND flash, Goombah, EarBuddy | iLounge News

Mix: Music sales, NAND flash, Goombah, EarBuddy

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, March 31, 2006
News Categories:

Global music revenue fell 3% to $21 billion in 2005, while digital music sales nearly tripled to $1.1 billion from $400 million the year before, split evenly between online services and mobile phone downloads, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry said today.

Apple has agreed to buy at least 20% of Hynix Semiconductor’s NAND flash memory until 2010, according to documents from the South Korean chipmaker. Apple also said it would increase orders by at least 180% a year until the end of the decade.

Emergent Music is looking for iTunes users to beta test Goombah, a new software tool that provides users with personalized music recommendations based on what other members with similar tastes are listening to. “If you are interested in previewing Goombah, please send an email to betatest@goombah.com with iLounge in the subject line no later than Monday, April 4, 2006. Emergent will email you the link and password to the Goombah software, and give $10 iTunes gift certificates (U.S. store only) to the first 100 iLoungers who test the software and complete the brief survey.”

SendStation is looking for owners of its EarBuddy that use it with other earphones besides the standard Apple ones. “EarBuddy users are asked to submit a short review, together with 2-3 pictures of the specific earphones organized inside the earBuddy, via email to earbuddy@sendstation.com. From all submissions made on or before April 20, 2006, SendStation will draw 10 entries to be rewarded with codes for 100 free iTunes song downloads each and another 40 to be rewarded with 50 free iTunes songs each.”

« Win free v-moda earphones in iLounge chat contest

iBikeMount for iPod nano now shipping »

Comments

OOH OOH!! I’M IN!!

Beta testing is fun! Not to mention that the $10 would be nice. I don’t usually use the ITMS but there are a couple songs by artists I like that are on mixed albums that I don’t really want to buy the whole CD for. Sounds good.

Posted by Werewolf on March 31, 2006 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I know music downloads on cell phones are all the rage now, but I find it VERY hard to believe that sale of music downloads to mobile phones equalled that of online services for a number of reasons:

1. The music-cell phones are still relatively few when compared to the greater cell and digital music player markets, not to mention that they’re generally more expensive.
2. Anyone with a computer and an internet connection can download music online. That represents a MUCH larger group than those who have the phones to download music.
3. Downloading online still provides largely more selection and versatility than downloading onto a cell phone.

I’m not saying that music downloads on cell phones will never equal or surpass those of online services, but I am skeptical of any report that claims that it already has done so.

Posted by Jason on March 31, 2006 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Seems we may be seeing more NAND flash players from Apple in the near & forseeable future…Hopefully we’ll get to a point where none of the iPods use a HDD.  But the NAND prices will need to come down considerably before that happens.

Posted by Parrotthead Phan on March 31, 2006 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

if they make a 15GB flash iPod i would buy it now…i have a 4G and i only use half of the 20 gigs

Posted by shoe on March 31, 2006 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

Man 15 gigs would be PERFECT! Still, I’m only 14 and my whole collection is already at like 6 or 7 gigs. I have a 4GB nano. I don’t listen to everything in my collection all that much so this is working out well. I do wish I had just a little more room. I’ll probably just wait until I’m older and I have a giant music collection to buy a really really big (memory) iPod.

Posted by Werewolf on March 31, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Zero-sum gain for the music industry (down 3% in one area, but up four fold in another).

Bet a lot of other industries wish they could say they didn’t take an overall loss in 2005.

In other words, the music industry should stop complaining.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on March 31, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness, the 3% decline was the music industry as a whole(TOTAL Revenue), which would include downloads…so overall they are making less money…I think with the increase in online sales they are losing a lot less than they would be without them.  I personally buy a lot of music from Itunes I used to “download” elsewhere.

Posted by Anthony on March 31, 2006 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

Jason, you’re forgetting that ringtones count in that sales figure.  Almost every phone on earth can download ringtones now.

Posted by stark23x on March 31, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Hmmm, I downloaded Goombah, but it won’t let me create an account. How do they expect people to test the software when they can’t even get to the actual software?

Posted by arular on March 31, 2006 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

yo im 14 too man
i have a 30 gig vid and a 512 mb shuffle
i have almost 20 gigs in my itunes music library(prolly cus i have about 7 full length movies) but i do think that a smaller 15 gb model would be perfect maybe even in the old mini shell
call it the ipod mini g wat an idea

Posted by killa on March 31, 2006 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

also can’t create an account on Goombah

Posted by whenders0n on March 31, 2006 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Goombah also failing for me…not really inspiring confidence are they?

Posted by stark23x on March 31, 2006 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

Also can’t create an account, and sent an email.

Also, anyone else notice that they ask the survey to be turned in before Monday April 4, 2006? April 4 is a Tuesday.

Posted by DocDrea323 on March 31, 2006 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

Got this reply:

Unfortunately, the servers that support the Goombah Beta Test are not working
this evening.  We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

We are working on the problem now and will let you know as soon as it is fixed.
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to your feedback on the Goombah
Beta software and your participation in our survey.

Thanks,
The Goombah Team

Posted by Whenders0n on March 31, 2006 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

Has anyone recieved ther gift certificate yet?

Posted by JeremytheIndian on April 1, 2006 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

Not I…

Posted by Whenders0n on April 4, 2006 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

I haven’t recieved mine either… smells an awful lot like scam…

Posted by Sarah on April 5, 2006 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

Yes I smell poop!

Posted by Whenders0n on April 6, 2006 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

still waiting for my certificate

Posted by tampatrader on April 10, 2006 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

I also emailed them this weekend…no reply…

Posted by Whenders0n on April 10, 2006 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >