Mix: Namco, T-Mobile UK, iPhone payment, FTC
Namco has announced that Apple veteran Jonathan Kromley has joined the company to head up its new Apple Games division. Before joining Namco, Kromley worked for Apple as an iPod and iPhone games producer and designer, and was responsible for the research, design and development of products/applications on the iPod, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV platforms. Kromley’s new duties at Namco will include creating new franchise opportunities, overseeing research, managing design and production from internal teams and worldwide external partners, and developing and publishing new and original content for Apple’s devices.
T-Mobile in the U.K. has begun offering imported iPhone 3G units to current high-value customers threatening to leave the carrier, the Register reports. The company has limited the units to just 150 per week, to be handed out by 50 agents in the retentions department who are limited to three units per week each. In addition, the handsets are reserved for customers currently paying more than £75 (roughly $127) a month. The report also speculates that the handsets are being handed out quietly as to not upset Apple, which has an exclusive deal with T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom to sell the iPhone in Germany.
A new iPhone payment system, code-named “Square,” is currently being tested in a New York clothing boutique. Cool Hunting reports that Self Edge NYC is testing the system, which consists of a small square credit card reader that attaches to the iPhone’s or iPod touch’s headphone jack and transmits the card number to a companion application. The customer then “signs” for the purchase using their finger on the screen, and can enter an email address to which their receipt will be sent. The payment is processed by Square for a small percentage plus a fixed fee, and the funds are transferred instantly to the retailer’s account. [via Cult of Mac]
The Federal Trade Commission has released an official statement regarding Apple’s announcement that Google CEO Eric Schmidt was resigning from Apple’s Board of Directors. “We have been investigating the Google/Apple interlocking directorates issue for some time and commend them for recognizing that sharing directors raises competitive issues, as Google and Apple increasingly compete with each other,” said Bureau of Competition Director Richard Feinstein. “We will continue to investigate remaining interlocking directorates between the companies.” The regulatory body launched an investigation earlier this year into whether the close ties between Apple and Google’s boards amount to a violation of antitrust laws; Mac Rumors notes that Arthur Levinson, former CEO of Genentech, remains a member of both boards, and former Vice President and Apple board member Al Gore serves as a “special advisor” to Google and Eric Schmidt.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?