Mix: nano 6G video, iOS 4.1 Field Test, AIS iPhone 4, TomTom
The sixth-generation iPod nano’s OS contains code that points to potential video playback features. Erica Sadun of TUAW reports that the device’s internal settings property list contains options for captions and alternative audio, hinting that video playback support may be added to the device sometime in the future; it is also possible that this code is simply left over from the prior iPod nano OS.
Apple has re-enabled the iPhone’s Field Test mode in iOS 4.1, Gizmodo reports. To activate Field Test mode, simply dial *3001#12345#*—once activated, the phone’s signal bars will change to a negative number, with higher negative values equaling reduced signal strength. Users can switch between the numeric and bar signal strength indicators by tapping on the designated signal reporting area, and can leave the testing mode by pressing the Home button.
Advanced Info Service (AIS), Thailand’s top mobile phone operator, has announced plans to offer the iPhone 4 in the coming months. Reuters reports that Singapore Telecommunications owns 21% of AIS, which will become the third iPhone carrier in the country, behind True Move and Total Access Communication. No pricing or further release information has yet been announced.
TomTom has announced that it will offer free adapters to owners of its Car Kit for iPhone allowing the accessory to work with the iPhone 4. Current customers will be able to claim their free adapter beginning tomorrow on a dedicated webpage; the company began shipping the adapter in the Car Kit packaging on September 1st.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?