Mix: Nano lawsuit, Sony-BMG, Medical images, New Zealand | iLounge News

Mix: Nano lawsuit, Sony-BMG, Medical images, New Zealand

Sony-BMG is hopeful it will soon come to an agreement with Apple to join the Australian iTunes Music Store. “There’s a couple of points left to finalize, the negotiations are going really well and we hope that they will be all settled soon and we’ll be on track too,” said Emmanuel Candi of Sony-BMG Entertainment Australia.

“Osman Ratib, professor and chief of nuclear medicine at the University Hospital of Geneva, has co-created a computer software program called Osirix,â€? writes CNN’s Osman Ratib. “It enables medical professionals to view medical images on their iPods, saving them and the hospitals they work for thousands of dollars in expensive equipment.â€?

New Zealand citizens can apparently purchase and download tracks from the Australian iTunes Music Store through a loophole with credit card prefixes and IP addresses.

« Tunewear offers Tunefilm for new iPods

iSkin Duo for iPod nano now available »

Comments

“BusinessWeek’s Arik Hesseldahl says that lawyers will be the only real beneficiaries in the class action lawsuit over scratched iPod nanos.”

If that isn’t the understatement of the century

Posted by Matthew Peterson on October 27, 2005 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

GO Kiwis!!

yeah!

I have been lucky to be able to Get music from iTunes Canada since living in Toronto. Its good to see my brethern in New Zealand be able to get music..abiet, its from Australia - but still great for now!

Posted by psxp on October 27, 2005 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

So I was at an Apple store last night buying an iPod, and I was looking carefully at all the display models.  They all had lots of fingerprints, sure, but no scratches.  I’m *convinced* this is just people being careless and putting their expensive electronics in their pockets with other stuff, or just not caring for it like you should a $250 device.

But we live in a world where personal responsibility does not exist.  It’s always about blaming other people and filing law suits.  Always have to play the victim.

I hope the judge just laughs at this.

Posted by m.sherman on October 27, 2005 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

I don’t know that a lawsuit is warranted, but there is a reason to complain if iPods are scratching easily.

I treat my cell phone like crap.  Drop it all the time.  Carry it in a pocket with my keys.  Toss it in my backpack.  After all of this, it still has no scratches on the screen.

Maybe Apple could learn a thing or two from someone else.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 27, 2005 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

I have to agree completely with the http://www.nanoscratchfraud.com author.

People are just taking this too far.

Posted by Daveoc64 on October 27, 2005 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

I hear they get scrached up like mad just SITTING in pockets with nothing else in them.

Apple just needs to get their act together. When will they realize they can’t make MP3 players with cases made of talc? wink

Posted by Ben on October 27, 2005 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

nanoscratchfraud.com has disappeared ...

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 27, 2005 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

I wonder why nanoscratchfraud.com disappeared… Maybe the guy received a nasty legal email from Steve Berman?

Posted by nanonymous on October 27, 2005 at 10:43 PM (PDT)

Amenn on the money makers for attorneys.  Apple gets nailed about a year over something stupid.

What does one of those screens cost them?  10 cents?  Less?  You think they’d deliberately use materials like that in ANY iPod given their reputation for quality and design?

I don’t know if there was a bad batch of screens or whatever made..  I do know Apple is a large corporation (and NOT your friend) but they’d have to be totally stupid, during the 4th quarter buying season, to make shoddy covers.

I’ve had Macs since 1984.  Bought an IBM PC the last month of 1981.  Quality manufacturers.  They haven’t always been right the first time but sooner or later someone has gotten their attention.

Class action law suits make rich lawyer richer.  That’s NOT how to get someone’s attention.  It will come out of the pocket of everyone of us sooner or later.

Posted by Glockster on October 27, 2005 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

I have enough trouble reading the calendar and contacts list on my 2.5 inch iPod screens.

I hope those doctors have a lot better eyes than I have.

Or I hope they’re not my doctors.  smile

Posted by Glockster on October 27, 2005 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

nanoscratchfraud.com is still working (or will soon), I was trying to fix some spelling errors I noticed and then my network connection decided to go down. I’ll try again today with my cellular connection to get it reposted. Although, I have been sending letters to the law firm, and they did contact me but not in a threatening way. They wanted my thoughts and opinion on the subject. You can’t sue someone for having an opinion, or make them remove their website. If that were the case the internet wouldn’t even exsist.

Posted by Matthew Peterson on October 28, 2005 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

http://www.nanoscratchfraud.com is back up and running

Posted by Matthew Peterson on October 28, 2005 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

Putting patient’s scan data on unencrypted external drives such as the iPod would be illegal in the US because of the strict privacy laws within HIPPA.

When doing radiology you have to avoid any lossy compression, because even the highest quality JPEG compression can erase some stress fractures while introducing artifacts. Therefore, the images stored tend to be very large indeed. A 20/30/40 GB iPod drive isn’t going to get you very far, and the disk is so slow it would take a very long to read in the data for analysis. Most people use RAID-0 boxes slaved to a central server. This story just seems like a way to convince the hospital to give its residents free ipods…

Posted by Demosthenes on October 28, 2005 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

I have read every post here and I must say that each one is well said (especially from Demosthenes).  The nano suit is frivolous and in the worst case should only warrant a replacement.  Also, as a person preparing to start medical school the idea of looking at a patient’s personal data and images on a unencrypted external drive scares me.

Posted by HuH on October 28, 2005 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

The Autobytel videos use Main profile of H.264 so won’t play on the iPod.  They should have been encoded with Baseline.

Posted by xj-8.5 on October 28, 2005 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

does the icleaner really work on the ipods?
i’m thinking of buying it for my ipod nano

Posted by bob on October 29, 2005 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

New Zealanders can’t get into iTunes Australia that loop hole was closed pretty quickly so where still out in the cold which is strange considering NZ & OZ are under the same recording association.

Posted by Steven Bates on October 31, 2005 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

Jack: i have not “abused” my Nano… i have had it one month, and it looks like i have had it a year+... horrible… on top of that, i had to wait till last week to get any kind of accessory for it at the Apple store (the mall one, not online).

Posted by brad on November 9, 2005 at 1:39 PM (PDT)