Mix: NBC, iPhone GPS, Unlocking, Korea
NBC has announced the launch of its new video service NBC Direct, which allows users to download and watch the network’s primetime and late-night programming for up to one week after broadcast. The service is currently Windows-only; future versions are to support Macs and “portable devices.”
A new version of Navizon Virtual GPS has been released for iPhone, which triangulates a user’s position from Wi-Fi access points and cellular towers, then sends that information to the phone’s Google Maps application. The application is not currently supported by Apple — it requires a “jailbreak” of the iPhone for installation. It is available as a 15 day trial; a full license is $25.
Asked the question “Is unlocking a concern?” at the company’s “Mum” special event, Apple CEO Steve Jobs responded, “It’s a constant cat and mouse game—we have the same thing with the iPod with music.” Jobs then looked at O2 CEO Matthew Key, asking, “Are we the cat or mouse? We have to stay one step ahead of them.”
Korean telecom company KTF is negotiating with Apple to sell the iPhone in South Korea, according to KTF’s CEO Cho Young-chu. “We have been trying to bring the iPhone here, but we have to wait,” Cho said. “The deal is up to the supplier [Apple], not us. Because the (Korean) market is so small, they will not release it until they have confidence in its marketability here.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0