Mix: NBC, iPhone GPS, Unlocking, Korea
NBC has announced the launch of its new video service NBC Direct, which allows users to download and watch the network’s primetime and late-night programming for up to one week after broadcast. The service is currently Windows-only; future versions are to support Macs and “portable devices.”
A new version of Navizon Virtual GPS has been released for iPhone, which triangulates a user’s position from Wi-Fi access points and cellular towers, then sends that information to the phone’s Google Maps application. The application is not currently supported by Apple — it requires a “jailbreak” of the iPhone for installation. It is available as a 15 day trial; a full license is $25.
Asked the question “Is unlocking a concern?” at the company’s “Mum” special event, Apple CEO Steve Jobs responded, “It’s a constant cat and mouse game—we have the same thing with the iPod with music.” Jobs then looked at O2 CEO Matthew Key, asking, “Are we the cat or mouse? We have to stay one step ahead of them.”
Korean telecom company KTF is negotiating with Apple to sell the iPhone in South Korea, according to KTF’s CEO Cho Young-chu. “We have been trying to bring the iPhone here, but we have to wait,” Cho said. “The deal is up to the supplier [Apple], not us. Because the (Korean) market is so small, they will not release it until they have confidence in its marketability here.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?