Mix: Nike+, iPod Access, iTunes HDTV, NetShare, Podcaster
A new Apple patent application describing a future expansion of the Nike+ system has been published online. The patent describes new “smart garments,” including shoes, which would be able to relay not just athletic performance information, but also wear status, so that users would be notified if the garment was worn to the point where it could cause potential injury. In addition, the patent also mentions GPS-laden sensors which could provide elevation data during a workout, and also display information about and advertisements for nearby points of interest. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company’s research in this area.
Findley Designs has announced iPod Access v4.2.3, the latest version of its iPod and iPhone music and video transfer application for Mac OS X and Windows. Version 4.2.3 adds improved support for the iPod touch and iPhone, compatibility with iTunes 8, improved iTunes integration, and other bug fixes. iPod Access 4.2.3 is a free update for all registered v4 users, and can be downloaded as a free trial or purchased for $20.
A number of iTunes users are reporting that iTunes 8.0 is overwriting HD versions of their TV show purchases with SD versions instead of appending “1” to the name the second file, as it normally does for duplicates. According to an Apple Discussions thread, the problem appears to mostly affect users who have simultaneous downloads and 1-Click purchasing turned off, however, enabling both of these features is not a guaranteed fix for the problem.
More than a month following its removal from the App Store, NetShare developers Nullriver Software have posted an update on the application to their website, claiming that the app will not be reappearing on the store. The note reads, “Looks like Apple has decided they will not be allowing any tethering applications in the AppStore. As such, NetShare will not be available in the iTunes AppStore. We are seeing a lot of similar reports from various developers who’s applications were abruptly removed and banned from the AppStore without any violations of the terms of service. This is all unfortunate news for the iPhone platform end-users.”
Apple has rejected a new iPhone and iPod touch application for duplicating the functionality of its own products. Podcaster, a new app which would have allowed users to download and manage podcast subscriptions directly from their iPhone or iPod touch, was rejected by Apple last week, following which the developer received a response from the company. An Apple representative said, “Since Podcaster assists in the distribution of podcasts, it duplicates the functionality of the Podcast section of iTunes.”
- Happy Columbus Day + Canadian Thanksgiving!
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?