Mix: Nuance + Lion, Guinness records, Safari Reading List, GoFlex Satellite
New evidence of a deal between Nuance Communications and Apple has been found in the developer preview of Mac OS X Lion. According to Netputing, Lion contains a number of new voices that are also present in Nuance’s Vocalizer application. The report notes that the voices are not yet usable, as an error message appears when trying to install them. A pair of reports from last week indicated that Apple had entered into an agreement with Nuance to run and build upon its voice recognition software at its new data center in North Carolina, potentially utilizing the technology to deliver new features for iOS 5. [via Cult of Mac]
Guinness World Records has released its 2011 Gamer’s Edition, in which it names the iPhone 4 the “Fastest-Selling Portable Gaming System,” with sales of 1.5 million units on the first day. The book also touts the Apple App Store as the “Most Popular Applicaiton Marketplace,” the “Largest Downloadable Video Game Store,” and the “Largest Launch Line-up of Any Gaming System.” Other records were given out for “Most Popular iPhone Game Series” (Tap Tap Revenge), “Fastest-Selling iPhone/iPod Strategy Game” (Plants vs. Zombies), and “Top Paid-For App Store Game in Most Countries” (Angry Birds).
Apple is set to launch Reading List, a new feature for Safari, in Mac OS X Lion, according to a 9 to 5 Mac report. The feature, which functions much like the popular service Instapaper, was believed to be for desktop browsing only, but the report states that the feature will in fact sync with iOS Safari. The Reading List currently shows up following a MobileMe or physical iTunes Bookmarks sync as a folder named com.Apple.ReadingList inside the iOS Safari Bookmarks list.
Seagate has introduced its new GoFlex Satellite portable external hard drive. Designed with iOS users in mind, the 500GB drive features built-in Wi-Fi, allowing it to share its contents with up to three devices at a time via a web browser or the free GoFlex Media app. Other features include an internal rechargeable battery with up to five hours of battery life, USB 3.0 connectivity, and optional FireWire 800 or powered eSATA interfaces. Seagate’s GoFlex Satellite portable external hard drive is available for pre-order and sells for $200.
- App Store prices going up in Australia, Indonesia and Sweden
- Apple’s antitrust monitor is leaving for good
- Happy Columbus Day + Canadian Thanksgiving!
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?