Mix: Odeo, Forrester, FireWire, Star Wars | iLounge News

Mix: Odeo, Forrester, FireWire, Star Wars

Odeo, a start-up co-founded by Blogger creator Evan Williams, plans to introduce a “Web-based system that is aimed at making a business of podcasting.”

Forrester Research analysts Ted Schadler and Josh Bernoff say the iPod photo “can’t really offer a great photo experience with its small screen, recycled music interface, lack of a camera and poor photo-management features.”

Nearly 4,000 iPod users who are “dismayed” that Apple has dropped FireWire cables from iPod packaging have signed a petition asking the company to rethink their decision.

As part of a Star Wars Episode III promotion, Skittles is sponsoring a “Hunt for Grievous” online game where they’re giving away 100 Star Wars-themed iPods.

« Windows: MarkAble 0.2.2 Beta released

Incase shows off upcoming iPod cases »

Comments

On the petition against the firewire cable, see http://daringfireball.net/2005/02/firewire_hysteria
I think John Gruber makes an excellent point that the exlcusion of the firewire cable allows them to drop their prices (as do other accesory drops) that many people were not using anyway.  The second generation iPod mini 4 gigabite versions stil only cost 218 dollars with a firewire cable, and with more than doubled battery life, this is still a sweet deal.

Posted by genEricwoods in USA on February 26, 2005 at 3:33 PM (CST)

what apple should do is for when people order online from apple.com they should just give them a choice between usb and firewire.  Won’t be as easy as in stores but it will help some people.

Posted by Enigma on February 26, 2005 at 4:11 PM (CST)

A business out of podcasting? Then wouldn’t that be like, RADIO? Screw that. Part of what makes podcasting so cool is because it’s all underground stuff.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 26, 2005 at 4:52 PM (CST)

“And I don’t like hearing about the firewire issue anymore. Apple was able to lower prices, probably due to the fact that only one cable is provided. Just buy a Firewire cable, and pretend your new iPod cost $20 more.”

Exactly… A lot of people is bitching and moaning because of Apple’s decision (I must confess I signed the petition myself, because I’m a 3G iPod owner and I will surely miss the great packaging and add-ons included with the iPod when I get my next one…), but those same people seem to be forgetting that the new upgraded iPod software gave all iPod users the same functionality as the one introduced in 4G iPods…

Yep… I bought my 3G iPod in March. I, too, bitched about Apple not giving us the chance to shuffle songs from the main menu (which isn’t a big deal after all) and to save playlists. Guess what: now I can do that too. So Apple is actually playing nicer than expected, IMHO. Suddenly, I feel better about my decision of not buying a 4G iPod… My 3G can do exactly the same, and if it wasn’t for the battery life (and the better ergonomics of the clickwheel), it would be just as great. Anyway, it still looks sleeker than the 4G :D

Posted by Mainyehc in Lisbon, Portugal on February 26, 2005 at 8:26 PM (CST)

“but those same people seem to be forgetting that the new upgraded iPod software gave all iPod users the same functionality as the one introduced in 4G iPods…”

NOT TRUE.

The OK to Disco bug is STILL THERE for 3G users.

Posted by stark23x on February 26, 2005 at 9:14 PM (CST)

Yeah, the 600 I payed for the ipod photo was truly a waste; there’s just no vision to the product.  It definitely just lacks soul.

Posted by e-baby on February 27, 2005 at 8:55 AM (CST)

Well I think the cable that should be provided is the firewire cable, why cater to PC who don’t have firewire, when your own computers have them.  MIcrosoft would not do the same for mac users.  I just think leaving out the firewire cable was a BIG mistake.

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on February 27, 2005 at 10:59 AM (CST)

A big mistake? I think it’s the exact opposite.

There are companies like Sony who push their “standards” to the grave; killing the product in the process. Apple admitted that most people do, in fact, use USB 2.0 opposed to FireWire by not providing Firewire cables. I am disappointed, since I am a Mac user who prefers Firewire, but it was the right business move.

The same people who are complaining about the missing Firewire cable would be complaining had Apple raised the price by $20. One company isn’t going to please 100% of their customers all the time—so deal with it or die.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 27, 2005 at 11:37 AM (CST)

As much as I hate the fact that Apple is no longer packing in a Firewire cable, it makes perfect sense.  Most of the people who are out there buying iPods are PC users - who would most likely have no use for the cable anyway.  Leaving it out is a good way to help reduce the price and let even more people into the iPod world.  For people with older Macs or who simply prefer Firewire, just go get the cable (or use an existing one from an old iPod perhaps) and you’re still saving money while getting a better product than you could have a few weeks ago.

Now can we please stop arguing about this topic?  It’s all anybody will talk about when they discuss the new minis.  Yeah, they took out the brick, too, but if you need that too, go buy it.

Just think.  Last week, you could have gotten an iPod mini with 4GB for $249.  Now you can get a superior mini for just $199, with an incredible battery life (the lounge got one to go for 26+, the old ones went 8 at best).  Now if you really need the firewire cable and the brick, you’ve spent $247.  Basically the same price, but a much better product.  How can you complain about that?  And if you happen to have a firewire cable and/or brick laying around, you’ve come out that much further ahead.

Game over.

Posted by crunkmaster on February 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM (CST)

Everyone who says that not including the firewire cable is allowing Apple to lower their price are morons. The cable costs $1 at most to manufacture, get a clue.

Back when I was a PC user, I STILL used the firewire cable. Why? Because it was a little bit faster, and when I used my laptop I had fewer compatability problems when I wanted to use other USB devices.

There is no reason why they should stop including it other than to charge people $20 for it.

I suppose the same people think that it’s great they stopped including the a/c adapter with the minis. Yup, that would save them money.. but I guess PC (and Mac) people have absolutely no need for an a/c adapter right? Cuz you’re always going to be with a computer that you can charge your iPod with.. always. /sarcasm

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on February 27, 2005 at 11:58 PM (CST)

I think it’s rather amusing that Apple is no longer including the Firewire cable. I remember when I got my first iPod a bit over a year ago (3G 40GB) and a PC user was upset because he just spent $399 on a new iPod and couldn’t connect it to his PC without first paying another $20 for the USB cable. The prevailing attitude fromn other users was basically, get over it; get a firewire card or spend the $20 for the cable.
Shoes on the other foot now. Kind of makes me laugh a bit.
BTW, nothing against Apple or Apple users, just think it’s kind of funny.

Posted by Mr Fusion in Maryland on February 28, 2005 at 6:55 AM (CST)

My iPod Photo came with a USB 2.0 cable that’s now gathering dust somewhere.  Was it a freebie?

Think again.  Someone paid for it and that someone was me.  I prefer the approach now being taken where you pick and choose the parts you need.  In another year with more and more Macs shipping with USB 2.0 the firewire issue will be a bigger non-issue than it already is.

(The Daring Fireball article mentioned by someone else provides an excellent argument in reducing the selection to USB 2.0 only and cuttung costs.)  A VERY FEW existing Mac and PC owners with no USB 2.0 ports are going to get hurt to the whopping tune of $19.00.  Live with it guys and girls.

Posted by glockster in U.S. on February 28, 2005 at 6:19 PM (CST)